Logo

whats the trick? need help with 8h

Pan

hello, I have a 94 Yamaha eight horse. The plaque says 8CM and also says 8G1, but when I look for it online those model numbers are not to be found, they're all 8M something. Go figure. That thing is in really good shape. But doesn't pump water. So I go to change the impeller. The foot wants to come off, but the shifting linkage seems to have no way to disconnect it except to take off the whole power head. This can't be so. I mean the impeller should be something that is relatively easy to change, right? There's no disconnect near the foot that I can see, and at the top, after pulling the carburetor to get at the connector I find it can't come out without popping the whole block! There's got to be a simple way to do this. So I'm hoping someone out there has had experience with this engine and has a minute or two to enlighten me in this matter. I would appreciate a bunch

Signed, frustrated in the Caribbean

Smaller hp motor has linkage connection at mid section below the reverse lock. Larger hp Yamaha has slide in gears shift rod without any linkage.
If you don't know the model number, can you be sure of the year? Is it a 4stroke or 2stroke?

Back