Logo

What years are my Mariner outboards and tips on stubborn bolts in general

new horizon

I'm trying to nail down the year on my Mariner 15 hp. and my 5 hp . The fifteen is a 15M 684CS #030552 and the 5 hp is a 5M 6e3 S #136636. The other question I have is does anyone have any tips on stubborn head bolts or any stubborn bolts for that matter. Sure feels like there gonna snap before they break loose. Thanks to anyone for the help.

You have Yamaha Mariners,the 15hp is '83 and the 5hp is '84.
Heat and lots of it on the bolts.So get yourself a propane burner and good luck ;)

Try spraying with PB BLASTER,let soak,repeat several times,strike with hammer & punch on bolt head, Heat thread area with torch,block area, Work bolts back&forth ETC. Patience will prevail!!:eek:

One of those 1/4 inch drive cordless impact drivers work well for disassembling motors just get a adaptor for a socket. If you work on outboards you will get good at repairing broken bolts. I prefer reverse spinning drill bits for removing broken bolts. Drill a pilot hole all the way through the bolt and squirt some power steering fluid in the hole and let it soak for a few days and then use a reverse spinning bit slightly smaller than the inside thread diameter and use firm pressure. more times than not it will spin the old bolt right out for you.

Last edited:
I had to chisel my powerhead bolts off one by one - took me a few hours, but theyre all off and replaced with SS ones and no damage to head :) patience and a sharp chisel work wonders. Mine were so rusted on some you could hardly make out the hexagon shoulders on the nut, just round brown rust - make sure your chisel is sharp! i resharpened mine on the bench grinder a few times..

Back