Logo

What year is my motor

"Phillip, yes that will make i

"Phillip, yes that will make it a 72 model. The 4 cylinder was a fairly "gutsy" engine. But it is getting on in years and not all parts are still readily available.

On the positive side kits are still available for the carbs (which are sidebowl back-draft style - old but quite functional). On the down side, this uses a distributor in the ignition which is no longer available and was super expensive when it was, so a major ignition issue would leave you with a motor that, in my opinion, wouldn't be worth trying to fix.

Steve, that is a 1979 model although it may well have been sold as a "new" 1980 model if it was left over stock. Merc "serials" are actually production numbers and are not encoded for a specific year. To determine what year it was mfg, the number is compared to a production list - so technically if that motor had of sat in the dealer for 3 years, it could have easily been sold as a "new" 1982 model as well and the warranty would have started at that point.

Shawn, you are best to go to the top of the page and start a "new discussion" and post your question. There are a couple of guy on this site that are very well versed in higher horsepower motors, but they will never see your question in this mess.

I don't have my "newer" production lists close by at the moment, but can tell you from what you have of your serial there that the motor is relatively new (less than 10 years old). My first thought would be bad check valves or clogs in the bleed system between the carbs/reeds and the crankcase - but as stated, there are some really excellent "big" engine mechanics on this site who can give you a decent place to start - so do repost as a new thread..."

"This is going to give me some

"This is going to give me something to think about. Even though she still runs very stong.
The wiring has seen better days, along with that, the bottem carb needs a rebuild(leaks).
Thanks very much for the info,

Phillip"

Thanks Graham

one more:is t

Thanks Graham

one more:is there an adjustment on the mounting bracket for transom height on that 89 mariner 40?

I couldn't see how but someone told me they will adjust a little(there is no power tilt/trim on this engine)

thanks again

"Rod, there is no adjustment f

"Rod, there is no adjustment for transom height. From your serial I can tell this is a long shaft meant for a 20" transom - no way to adjust that.

There is a tilt pin (actually called a thrust pin) with a series of holes so that you can "trim" the motor to what works best, but that's the extent of it as far as "adjustments" go on this model..."

"Hello. I have a Mariner 50 S

"Hello. I have a Mariner 50 S/N 5870242. Can you tell me what year it is. I bought a SELOC repair manual in the hopes it would list the s/n to year, but if it does, I can't find it."

"Dennis, that is a 1980 Mercur

"Dennis, that is a 1980 Mercury built Mariner.

If you got the Seloc's manual for Mariners, you got the wrong book.

Two different Mariners out there (both Merc products).

Seloc's Mariner manual is for Yamaha built models and Seloc's Mercury manual is for Mercs and Merc/Mariners (which yours is)...."

Yep - that's a 1980/81 mod

Yep - that's a 1980/81 model (they lumped that two year time frame into one production list).

I actually have excellent Belgian records - my Canadian and Aussie records are slightly lacking though...

"Hi Folks,
I'm trying to

"Hi Folks,
I'm trying to identify and obtain parts for the following mariner 40hp:- 6E9 S019798 40M
Judging from previous posts i understand it is a yamaha built shortshaft 40hp
I'm looking for a coil and also plug specs.
Who do i find parts off yamaha or mariner? which part number (for the coil) do i use? will a pattern part do the job?
I had to shorten one of the plug HT leads and now will not reach plug.

Thanks
Paul in Ireland"

"Hi Paul,If you can get a # fo

"Hi Paul,If you can get a # for the same part off a yamaha it is usually cheaper,www.marineparts.ie are good, they do the Sierra parts,and you will also be able to get a HT lead there as well.I usually order from the States,www.dougrussell.com and others. You could get a Seloc manual here on this site reasonably enough which is necessary if you're going to work at the motor yourself,believe me I've been there.

smile.gif
"

"Hello Graham, I have a Marin

"Hello Graham, I have a Mariner outboard motor and I want to find out what year it is? Also want to know the correct oil ratio. Thank you in advance!

Model: 5M
Code: 6E3
Serial#: 150173

Lee"

"Lee, that is a 1986 "C&#3

"Lee, that is a 1986 "C" model.

5 - horse
M - manual (pull or rope) start

6E3 - Yamaha model based on their own model 5C which began production in 1980..."

"Hi Graham,
I'm trying t

"Hi Graham,
I'm trying to identify and obtain parts for the following mariner 40hp:- 6E9 S019798 40M
Judging from previous posts i understand it is a yamaha built shortshaft 40hp manual start
i've no clue of the year though
I'm looking for a coil and also plug specs.
Who do i find parts off yamaha or mariner? which part number (for the coil) do i use? will a pattern part do the job?
Can you recommend a workshop manual?
I had to shorten one of the plug HT leads and now will not reach plug.
Do you get paid for this?

Thanks
Paul in Ireland"

"Paul, to start with that is a

"Paul, to start with that is a 1985 "C" model Mariner. Built by Yamaha for Mercury and intially marketed in Europe/Asia/Australia although it was a very popular model and alot made it over to North America.

The 6E9 tells you it was a carbon copy of Yamaha's own model 40FM which was built between 1981-83. This was common with the Yamaha built Mariners (there is a whole line of Mercury/Mariners which are just Merc's with the Mariner colour/decals - which I own a 15 horse of that flavour).

They were basically just a Yamaha model that had been discontinued by Yami, but stayed in production for Merc - which among other things, gave Yamaha a place to get rid of all the leftover parts.

Don't get me wrong - these are not a budget or junk motor, they were just "old technology" the day they hit the showroom.

I do not have parts listings for Yami's built before 1984 so can not look up parts for Yami's own model of that motor.

You can go to any Merc dealer with your model number for parts, and can look up the part numbers yourself (and see if still available) by following this link exactly www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=814840

An excellent all round manual for this motor is Seloc's manual for "Mariner Outboards" for 1-2 Cylinder models 1977-1989 (available from this site in both electronic/printed form or most dealers for about 35 bucks).

You can get a new piece of spark plug lead from almost any marine supply (don't use automotive - no good) and reattach your existing ends - they sell it in bulk for a few bucks a foot.

And NO, all my forum advice (and the hours I spend giving it/researching issues) is free.

And what do you get for free? I'm not a certified tech, I don't do warranty work and I don't charge 100 bucks an hour if you are close enough to bring your motor into my home based shop.

Additionally, I do not claim to know more than your local dealer, the mfg, or any certified tech. But I will work on motors built before 1994 and don't consider them "old" unless they have points/condenser.

I work on motors because I like to and write here because I'm semi-retired and it helps take up some time and keep my troubleshooting skills sharp

I own 5 outboards - 3 Merc's and 2 OMC ranging in horsepower from 2.5 - 140

Personally I specialize in 25 horse and under Merc's produced after 1986 but have service manuals for Merc/OMC/Honda/Yamaha/Clinton outboards, Mercruiser/Volvo I/O sterndrives and small engine service manuals for Tecumseh and Briggs, so with a bit of looking can take a poke at most anything..."

"Hello, first time poster. See

"Hello, first time poster. Seems to be the question of the day is year ID, I have a Mariner 25 with a ser # of 690 s 000235. Not sure of the year. It has manual start, wanting to upgrade to electric. Possible or cost prohibitive??
Thanks in advance
Tom"

"Tom, that's an old one -

"Tom, that's an old one - 1978 - only produced the 690 series in that single year. This was a 100% Yamaha built motor and they dressed one in their own colours/decals in 1979 (only) and marketed it as the model 25B.

In fact, it is so unique Merc doesn't even have a parts listing for that particular model.

So while I can't even give you info as to whether parts are available to convert it to electric start, I can give you a general idea of what it "typically" costs.

A starter motor is 100-200 bucks. If you need a ring gear (teeth for the flywheel) add another 50-75. A starter solenoid is about 35 bucks, add some wire, fuse, a couple battery cables and a battery (maybe $125), the price tag could reach 400 bucks or better, if you can find parts and do the work yourself - otherwise add about 200 for labour.

The cost of the conversion, without labour is greater than the value of the motor.

The only time it's really cost effective to get an electric start, is when the motor is brand new - you really need to buy it that way."

"I have a Mariner 40 Hp Magnum

"I have a Mariner 40 Hp Magnum motor and need the serial number on it to order carb. rebuilding kit. I think its a 1992 model, but not for sure. I did find a serial number tag on the motor mount beside the tilt& trim that has the numbers 09700536 on it. But I am being told that it should have a letter in it. Is there any other place that I can look to get this info. and can anyone give me a year for this engine by the numbers above. Thanks"

"Graham,
I posted about two w

"Graham,
I posted about two weeks ago regarding a 40hp mariner. i'm just thanking you for your comprehensive and informative reply.

Thanks
Paul in Ireland"

"Great forum. I just bought m

"Great forum. I just bought my first boat and motor and I'm learning a ton.

I have a 20 HP Mariner, Serial # A906325. What is the year? With the year I will be able to find out the other ?'s on another post.

Thank you"

"Marty, that was built in 1985

"Marty, that was built in 1985 but would have been sold as a 1986 model.

For the 1986 model year, Merc changed their serials from all numbers to adding a (zero) followed by a letter - in this case "A", followed by the production (serial) number.

Your particular model saw almost no change parts wise upto and including the 1994 model year - so lot's of spare parts around.

Outstanding motor by the way - probably the best 20 horse 2 stroke ever produced by any mfg..."

"greg
that looks like a early

"greg
that looks like a early 80s belgium number. looks like graham has missed your post, he will be back to put things right if im wrong, he has very good belgium records. ( am i right graham)"

"Yes, sorry I did.

Greg, yo

"Yes, sorry I did.

Greg, you do have the year correct. It's a 1992 model built by Merc in Belgium. Exactly the same as the North American built models with serials 0D.... to 0G.... up to and including the 1994 model year..."

Hi Guys i am a newbee here
i

Hi Guys i am a newbee here
i own a mariner 60hp made in japan
i have a serial number as follows
675-30391 please advise on build daate
thanks
wayne

"Wayne, that is a 1979 Electri

"Wayne, that is a 1979 Electric start, long shaft model according to your serial.

This model was built by Yamaha for Mercury and dressed as a Mariner."

I would appreciate some help i

I would appreciate some help identifying year model of this Outboard.

It is a friends and has a few problems. Not charging and running like a Hairy Goat and most of the wiring is a nightmare.

Details: MERCURY 150hp. 6 Cylinder inline 2 stroke. S/N 8048163.
Carb No WMK 22.

Thanks so very much in advance.

Garry

"Garry, that's an Aussie b

"Garry, that's an Aussie built Merc (which makes sense after I checked where you are from)

Anyhow, their records (like Merc Canada) are poor at best, but from the incomplete ones that I have can give you a "best guess" of it being a 1977 model.

The 1973-78, 150 "Tower of Power" Inline 6's shared most of their parts.

If you need anything and are searching online (which is mostly by US serials) you can use the serial range 4602012-4868997 which are identical motors to yours."

Thanks so very much for that i

Thanks so very much for that information. Now I have something to work with and hopefully get this OLD GIRL back to working order. Thanks again guys..Garry

"Graham,
You wouldn't hap

"Graham,
You wouldn't happen to have the part number for a left hand rear shocker, for a 1928 Moscovitch by any chance? !!
wink.gif
"

Back