Logo

What to do now?????????? Tank Cleaning

dhearn0513

Contributing Member
1995 Johnson 115 v4..I have been struggling with this problem for a while. The boat will run fine then it is start to act like it runs out of fuel @ wot. The motor will usually start right back up but then it will die when you try to go forward. It will spit and sputter and shut off. I can take the filter off under the cover and empty it. prime the engine and it will run @ wot for about 10 sec and then do the same thing. No milky stuff comes out of the filter like it had water in it. I have changed almost everthing.
All fuel lines from tank to engine.
New fuel filler hose.
New fuel line under the cover.
Checked Anti Siphon for tank. (No Anti Siphon).
Compression is fine 110, 110, 108, 108. This was not hot ready just warm engine.
This is the second engine doing the same thing on this boat. I had a 1985 Evinrude 120 that was doing the same thing..
I am now thinking about maybe having the tank cleaned by a professional. Thinking maybe something is blocking the pickup in the tank. I can keep the boat running as long as someone sits in the back and pumps the ball when the motor gets ready to shut off, you can tell when its getting ready to shut off because the engine starts to shake and stumble. This is a low rpm.....Also should mention the carbs have been cleaned... Help Please. about ready to sell...LOL

Last edited:
Agreed run with a seperate 6 gallon tank.--------Take fuel pump apart for inspection.----Those pumps are easy to take apart for inspection and repair.----Determine if there is a fault with the pump before spending a $ for new parts.

The Primer ball does not collapse when the motor stalls. I have changed the line from the tank to the fuel water sep and from there to the motor. not a new primer ball though. one from my other boat that worked fine.

A friend of mine made a good point. Could it be that the vent tube is clogged. I smell gas from the vent tube, but it did look like dirt diver may have got in it.

I can blow into the vent tube on the side of the boat and when I stop you can hear the air come back out along with gas vapors. is this normal....

agree the first step is to try a portable tank ...preferably with a new hose and bulb....if this works then try running off the built in tank with the motor trimmed up as far as you can get it and still have cooling...this motor will run like that with water in the gas...not fast of course but it will get you in..
also agree to look at the fuel pump...easy to get to...how old is the gas?...

if it is untreated e10 then its garbage...get rid of it and the tank will probably need cleaning...dont try to run any more of it through your motor..hopefully you havent already contaminated it...get a 6 gallon portable with new hose and bulb as recommended...add some cleaner to new gas...take it out and run it....if it runs better or good then run it a good 30 minutes or so..
i would also look at the filter under the cowl before i run it...i think on that engine its nothing more than a screen that located on the right side of the engine as viewed from the front of the engine..its round and about the size of a silver dollar and can be removed with a dime for a screwdriver..

i would get rid of it....was the 2nd engine that failed running off this gas?...seafoam is not a treatment for gas....

Ok so today I hooked the motor to a 6 gallon tank in the yard on the hose. The motor started fine and ran for about 2 min and then started to die. the rmp dropped and it sounded like it ran out of fuel. It would not start up until I re-primed the ball. The the same thing. run and then it would slow down and die. Im thinking Fuel pump rebuild kit......

Planning on taking a look at the pulse limiter tomorrow. The pulse limiter should only allow air through in one direction right. Im prob going to pull the VRO pump off anyway and take a look at the insides anyway see if anything looks like it may be worn.

it sounds as if you are filling up the carbs pumping the bulb and when you start the engine you are running the carbs low enough to kill the engine...you could be sucking air right where the gas line attaches to the motor...make sure that connector snaps in place...if not then it will back off a tad and suck air...to further trouble shoot the problem continue to run the small tank and NEW hose...to suck the old gas into the engine will just add to the problem...

Ok so today I took apart the VRO. the diaphrams look fine. I took the so I put everything back together and its doing the same thing. Runs the bowls dry. I took the VRO back off, and left all the hoses on. When I pump the bulb gas comes out of the VRO exit. but when I turn the engine over I would think you should see some gas coming out of the VRO but there is nothing. I removed the Pulse limiter and can blow through it in both direction. When I turn the Engine over I can feel the pulse of air coming out of the limiter. Now super strong though, but I dont know how much preasure comes out of it. Should I prepair to Buy a new VRO? PS all of this was done using a 6 gallon tank..

I finally figured it out.. being that the oil side of the VRO has been disable for a while. The O-Ring that go's into the inlet housing assembly had swielled up and was not allowing the pump to operate properly. I talked to a boat mechanic and he said he has seen this before and he just cut that shaft into and it worked fine. I cut the shaft and everything seems to working great now. So to anyone who does away with the oil side of the VRO and mixes there fuel keep this in mind... Thanks for all the people that helped me on here . This is def the best forum on the web for getting help...

Back