Logo

What spark plugs

"Yes, should be NGK BUHW-2&#39

"Yes, should be NGK BUHW-2's - don't let anyone sell you a cross referenced plugs. Merc and Yamaha ignitons throw out alot of voltage compared to other Mfg's and were designed to run with NGK's.

You can possibly run a Delco plug in a pinch, but definately not a Champion - the resistance is all wrong even on one with the same heat rating..."

"Graham, That motor likely ran

"Graham, That motor likely ran Champions(L-76V/L-78V) right from the factory. Merc did not switch to NGK until later."

"I took the plug right from th

"I took the plug right from the parts list (amended perhaps over the years).

And now you have me thinking - can't quite remember what was in my first Merc (an 86) - but don't think it was Champions.

I do have some early listings for Delco surface gaps, but any of my manuals produced by Merc don't list Champions (although Seloc's does), at least up until recently, and then only with the new computer controlled CDM ignitions.

However, I won't disagree with you as to what may have been in there at mfg time..."

"Have an old Mariner 8M. Model

"Have an old Mariner 8M. Model 677.036149 [?]
Think it's an 88 or 89. Great working motor, but need to find out what's the proper spark plug no.
for this old fella..Can anyone help ??"

"P, if I'm reading the cha

"P, if I'm reading the chart for Japan-made Mariners (http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/dosearch/@isnew/desc?mod=17&lang=EN& categories=Outboard$ ) correctly, it actually looks like a 1980 based on that number?

Alas, there is no manual available for download at Brunswick's site for that year's outboards, so someone with first-hand experience and/or proper documentation might chime in for the correct answer on the plug question. Or please advise P if I'm incorrect on the year identification, thanks!"

"Hi, thanks for answering..I c

"Hi, thanks for answering..I checked the link, & I think you're right on the year, according to the model no..At least I have an idea as to the year, glad you included that link, I didn't know it existed..I've got an old spark plug book, I'll dig it out & check for the spark plug no..So far I have 2 nos. B7HS & BP8HS-10..Thanks again,
Pat O"

"The BP8HS-10's were commo

"The BP8HS-10's were common factory plugs in the 8 and 9.9 horse motors. I have been running those for years in my 9.9's and am well pleased - but for the cost, replace them at the start of each season...

And yes Tom, you have the year nailed down correctly - 1980. This particular mariner is a copy of Yamaha's model 8B and E8D which started production in 1977 - well built motor..."

Back