Logo

What spark gap for mercruiser 2002 5.0L carb

unix1111

Hello,

I have a 2002 mercruiser 5.0L carb (serial # 0M373070) 220HP. I'm ordering NGK BPR6EFS, I read the gap should be set to .045, also read .060, what spark gap should I use?

Thanks,

David

Re: What spark gap for mercruiser 5.0L carb

Hello,

Thanks for the link, read through it, so if I can read, I understand NGK BPR6EFS non platinum ok, do not gap.

Can someone clarify if I'm off.

Thanks,

David

NO you did not read it correctly

Use what was in the boat and be done with it.

If the motor is stock with NO modifications then there is absolutly nothing to be gianed by changing to some snake oil spark plug.

ONLY platium plugs are NOT gapped as they come pre gapped from manufacturer. you only check to make sure they are correct.

Just go to a auto store and buy the r43 (whatever)

The service buliten is for serial numbers OM300000 and above or newer.

If your serial number is below this number than use the same plugs that came in the motor when new. MR43T (marine $$$) R43T Automotive less $$$

If you or a mercruiser dealer where to order your original spark plugs today from the Mercruiser parts warehouse for your engine, using your engine serial number you would be receiving Mercruiser part number (33-816336Q) Otherwise know as (NGK BPR6EFS). This new number is replacing the (AC-MR43LTS) So you should be ok with ordering the spark plugs that you posted.

The service manual for your engine, Mercruiser part number 90-864260T00, Otherwise known as service manual #31 Said to gap them at (0.045 in.):)

PS, you are safe to gap the (NGK BPR6EFS) spark plugs yourself.

Last edited:

Hello,

Thanks all for the guidance/advice, I'll stick with the NGK's and gap them @ .045.

David

Back