Logo

What Should I Expect to Pay

fred70

Regular Contributor
"Got a couple o questions.
T

"Got a couple o questions.
The guy has a couple of salvaged 350cid interceptors. (complete, cut out of hull with forward fire damage. (Welcraft, or Sea Ray). It was a Great Lakes boat, never near Salt water. Raw water cooled.

What should I expect to pay for rebuildable fresh water?
Engine "A" turns over with the starter motor.
Engine "B" turns over to a point ,& then binds tight(It will turn back).

#1. For a long block (including, intake to oil pan. <font color=""ff0000"">NO exhaust manifolds</font>)?

#2. For a complete? (every thing from the Bell housings forward, including alt, water pumps, belts & hoses, carb, dist, Cut wiring harnesses <font color=""aa00aa"">with or without, exhaust manifolds</font>.

3#. The whole ball of wax, <font color=""ff0000"">NO exhaust manifolds</font> (Velvet V drives to water pump pulleys, Plastic covers over carb, to oil pan.

#4 Manifolds & risers.

*** How do I tell if the blocks froze / cracked? **

Fred 156-M"

"..." How do I tell if the

"..." How do I tell if the blocks froze / cracked?"

Pull the intakes, assuming the freeze out plugs are not alreay gone, and look for a crack in the block.

Not a lot of value there and a high risk. (I'm assuming water got in the exhausts with the manifolds off.) I'd offer a couple hunded bucks and walk away if it's no deal.

Jeff"

"The exhausts are still on Jef

"The exhausts are still on Jeff.
The engines were covered (cheeze blue tarp) but out side. I just don't know if they were winterized.
The exhausts are still on Jeff, so I assume that water leaked in thru air cleaner stud, & wetted a cylinder on "B".

what are the Qjet carbs & alts worth, $60 ea? raw water pump?
Shafts & struts are there too.

Fred 156-M"

"Re: "Pull the intakes, as

"Re: "Pull the intakes, assuming the freeze out plugs are not already gone, and look for a crack in the block."

So that the week spot? That easy to spot?

Fred 156-M"

"Yes. If the block is shot, y

"Yes. If the block is shot, you'll see a long crack running along just under the intakes.

Jeff"

"It is just too inexpensive to

"It is just too inexpensive to not start with good automotive block cores, rather than risk the rust scale that can be built up inside of raw water cooled cores..... let alone any freeze factures that may be there!

Have you considered this?

."

"ya R.E.

But with all the e

"ya R.E.

But with all the extra goodies that could be included for not much extra $.$$ ,..(and I notice, nobody is suggesting any offering prices).

or I don't see any body speaking up as to what they may part with a good used alt., or carb for. (& I know that I'm going to need a couple for my BB's in the Luhrs. (350cid Q jets on a 330hp 454, if the price is right.).

Any body care to make an offer on some black SBC exhaust mans with risers. (I couldn't believe that these things are 4" outlets into a 4" T), when my big block manifolds are 3" outs.
as fast as you guys eat up those down/over in the salt water.

Fred 156-M"

"Fred,
I'm in the market

"Fred,
I'm in the market for two complete sets of SBC "mercruiser" style exhaust manifolds.
Am I correct, your selling?
Do you have them off yet?"

"Bob,
They are complete / tak

"Bob,
They are complete / take out engines. They are not mine, but I have been looking at them.
He wants to sell them as units, but.. as the above description shows,, there is a snag , as to selling them as good.
if we can get some offers on some parts together.....
is there an offer from you?

Fred 156-M"

"Fred, If you indeed have a ne

"Fred, If you indeed have a need for the external parts, then by all means buy them.
My only point was/is, that many of us would not attempt to over-haul a raw water cooled engine (yes, even if river/lake water) when we are only a few bucks away from good automotive cores that have been run with E/G/h20 in them.

FYI, you do ask: "How do I tell if the blocks froze / cracked?"
I do not believe that you have mentioned the year of them!

For me, even if closed system cooled, I'd want to know the cylinder head casting numbers.
I will NOT build one using dished pistons, so this casting number would be important to me if I were interested, for example!

But don't get me wrong..... depending on the year, some or all of the external parts, including the internal crankshafts and connecting rods, may be of value! Maybe even some of the tin ware!

Rather than us making a suggestion, why not tell us what money these are being offered at????

."

"Its one of those "friend

"Its one of those "friend of a friend " things R.E.
I have NO use for the engines. but the Alts, Carbs, maybe coolers, pulleys, hoses , clamps, are the brass ring.

Fred 156-M"

"Fred, IF...it means anything,

"Fred, IF...it means anything, over the years I have gone an bought some CRAZY stuff always assuming I can use this or do that. After I sold my military WWll jeep, 396 chevy engine, complete 1974 FJ-40 Toyata Land Crusier, 22' hand hewn logs, 1948 Schwinn Whizzer, and a host of other "things"...MOST of them just lay around the yard for 10 years looking worse each month... BUT, that's me. Sometimes I can't resist a good bargain...That's when I bought the boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Fred:

As far as "valua

"Fred:

As far as "valuation" of used parts with no history, I'd never pay more than the "core value". I'd only get close to it if i could inspect them ahead of time. I've found most people don't want you taking "their stuff" apart.

If FWC, the manifolds should have value - I'd consider the risers scrap metal. They may work but they won't last long. if the carb has had water sitting in the bowl, it may be complete junk or it may be easily restored...same for the alternator. The pulleys (and other 'hard parts') would also be of value, assuming you had a need for them.

Another thought on valuation - an easy check on Ebay can show you what similar items have sold for."

Back