Logo

What parts are interchageable

tedm2

Contributing Member
It is my understanding that al

It is my understanding that all AQ lowers are interchangeable between different drive models but can intermediate housings and uppers be swapped as well? Will a SP A or C intermediate fit on a 290 steering fork? Will SP uppers fit on a 280 or 290 intermediate? Are the steering forks interchangeable?
I am trying to piece together a replacement for a 290DP-A and would like to get a newer drive assembly without having to change transom shields.

"Ted, well, it is both complic

"Ted, well, it is both complicated and simple, and requires an explanation.

True, most all AQ series lower units will swap with the Intermediate housing, the only change being that of short vertical shaft (C and later) vs long vertical shaft...... difference being the vertical shaft spline coupler length.
Be sure to carry over the original vertical shaft tapered roller bearing race, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, shim as per specs.
This is a Negative Preload and is critical, as this controls and maintains drive gear/driven gear contact. Very important to shim this correctly! (The angular contact bearing directly beneath it will not take the load by itself!)

As for the Intermediate and transmission interchange.....; if staying with the same "Driven Gear" bearing/retainer diameter (there are 3 sizes), yes....... again, with the correct shimming (a positive preload) they can be swapped.
Difference being the helmet pin style, shift mechanism cover and the spline count of the female drive shaft yoke.
The C transmission, for example, will use the larger diameter driven gear bearing/retainer......., thus the bore in the Intermediate will be too large for an SP A or 275 A or a 270/280/285/290 transmission, etc.
NOTE: some call the C, D, E drive a 290 or a large pin 290. These are not a 290!

As for the Main Suspension Fork/Intermediate Housing interchangeability...... I have good reason to believe that some will interchange, although I have not had the need to do so.
Carefully press the pivot tube out and give it a try. If the suspension fork mates, then there's your answer. (I should know this)

Bottom line, and since I may not fully understand what you are mix/matching, just watch for the transmission driven gear bearing/retainer diameter differences, and you should be OK.
There is a very simple shimming procedure that actually works better than what the work shop manual procedure explains. Let me know if you need help.

NOTE: the C and later drive does away with the Reverse Latch unit and the SS anchorage/bracket......., the cylinders now attach directly to the suspension fork!
This is a better choice if that is an option for you! The shield, however, is not the same!

Ah.... the beauty of the AQ series.
What a shot in the foot for Volvo when they went to the SX and/or DP S style drive....
angry.gif
IMO!
No Gimbal style suspension
No Gimbal Bell
No Gimbal bearing
Easy drive bellows replacement
No annual engine coupler alignment
No thru prop exhaust
Better steering geometry
Larger foot print against the hull's transom
.....and the list goes on!

Oh well!
happy.gif
"

"I have found a NEW SP-C singl

"I have found a NEW SP-C single prop drive and was trying to determine if I could swap parts around to make it work. The SP-C intermediate appears to have the same shape as the 290 intermediates that allow for the reverse lock, while the C-1 intermediate fills that space.
I have not found what I would call many (if really any) trustworthy 290 transmissions and the asking prices for what is out there with no warranty is shocking.
I would rather not trade out the shield if possible as it looks as if I would have to change out the trim & steering as well and the cutout may be smaller."

"Ted, You mention 280, 290, SP

"Ted, You mention 280, 290, SPA, 290DPA, C etc. I am not clear on which engine you now have, nor which transom shield you currently have.
Maybe this would help if you'd post this info!

So.... post this info, and I'll be better able to help you! We can then determine which over-all gear ratio you will need, etc.

FYI: I have people from the east coast, where finding reliable V/P techs is sketchy, who ship these drives to me for repair or re-sealing, etc. That's simply an offer should it appeal to you.

."

"I currently have a 290DP-A th

"I currently have a 290DP-A that has a broken bearining in the upper and a broken gear set in the lower. I have purchased a replacement lower that passed a pressure test but it should probably be resealed just due to it's age and it will need a new intermediate bearing and race. I am looking for a replacement for the upper unit. I may also have to replace the intermediate due to scoring caused by the bearing when came apart.
I am considering sending the unit(s) out of the area, since as you state the repair abilities of the mechanics are seriously lacking for Volvo outdrives even though they are Volvo certified. I have had 3 different mechanics and 3 repair failures."

"Which broken bearing in the t

"Which broken bearing in the transmission?
And did it damage any of the three gears?

Yes, re-seal this lower unit!

The scoring may not have damaged the area where the shims seat! If not, then the Intermediate is likely usable. (I've seen this more than once)

If you were to click on my user name, you will see an email address for me. Shoot me one, and we could then set up a phone call, if you think that would help you.

."

Back