Logo

what is this fuel system valve and what does it do?

carboncow

Contributing Member
Going through the fuel system on my recent rebuilt engine. Had no ID plate but this is what I know.

1997 (Pursuit) with Volvo Penta 7.4L FI with Power Steering. One tech says it's a GLi another a GSi and one guy said it's a GXi but I don't see the later one even listed or those years in the charcoal engine. Based on what I've read on this site it should be a 7.4GSIPLK but that doesn't come up in any kind of search, but I digress...

I'm curious to what this valve is on the hard fuel line and what it does?

The fuel line spins too easily in my opinion and if it's a valve it doesn't seem to open from pressure (air) placed on either direction. So just curious if it's happy...or not.

111.JPG

Last edited:
Looks to me like the fuel pressure regulator. The vacuum line goes to intake manifold. The hard line coming out of the bottom should be the return line.

Looks to me like the fuel pressure regulator. The vacuum line goes to intake manifold. The hard line coming out of the bottom should be the return line.

Thank you. Can you explain to me how a pressure regulator (for fuel) would work between the intake and the fuel system? What are we regulating here and what happens if a pressure is to high (or low). Just trying to understand all the variables in the system.

If I'm reading this correctly the part does state Pressure Sensor 3854517 for $350!

Back