Logo

What is meant by the term Engine Alignment?

sab

Regular Contributor
2004 350 Mag Bravo 3 with power steering

There's been complaints the new used family boat pulls the the right/left with wheel/helm centered. I blame it on the wind, rain and waves, however, "this" board sometimes discusses the need for an engine alignment with various repairs, and with an aging boat it may indeed need an "alignment". What is involved in a engine alignment and is that the correct term to ask for? Also planning on inspection/repairs to the out-drive in 2018 (gibble, found some water in oil, etc). Best time for alignment?

" Engine alignment" refers to the "drive coupler" that is attached to the flywheel.
The rear engine mounts and the center of the gimbal bearing DO NOT share an axis. The front of the engine must be raised or lowered in order to properly align the center of crankshaft with the natural center of the universal drive shaft. If this alignment is incorrect, the splined shaft will prematurely wear the internal splines of the drive coupler.

What repairs (conditions) would require a engine alignment check? new spec gimble? visual indications on the spline?

I assume there is mercury tooling available for performing engine alignment check

Do you have a Destroyed engine coupler or an extreme vibration?

Replacing the engine requires an engine alignment.

Replacing a gimbal bearing requires aligning the bearing.

Last edited:
No, just tiring to understand what to ask for when the 15 year old outup-drive is removed and gimble/spline is inspected next season. The first post sort-of bought it into focus. You try to head-off problems if you can. The bathing suit season here up North is rather short and the marine mechanics have a 6-8 week wait, so a problem discovered in July may almost end the boating season. However, I've learned to trailer problems back to Boston. Thanks

Sab, here are two images that I put together several years ago in order to help explain what the drive coupler alignment is all about.
Note that the axis of the rear engine mount and the center of the gimbal bearing are not the same.

Attachments

• Drive Coupler alignment explained 1.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Drive Coupler alignment explained 3.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 45
Excellent thanks Rick. Your thumbnails should be a part of a sticky post.

By all means, feel free to post them!

Attachments

• Drive Coupler alignment explained 1.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Drive Coupler alignment explained 3.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 16
Back