Logo

What is "grounded charge coil" and how do I check it? Stator failed test

SeaPair

I am going through some steps to troubleshoot a no spark issue on my 1987 Johnson 120.

I checked for voltage on each brown stator wire while cranking engine..both showed voltage so it says the test FAILED and to check for grounded coil charge lead before replacing stator.

I do not know how to check for this..can someone please help?
How do I check for a grounded charge coil lead?

I also have some current flowing to the body of my regulator / rectifier I think (made another post on that)..but not sure and am not sure if this is all related.

I have ordered new parts (power pack, trigger and regulator) will order a stator too but am afraid there may be a short somewhere etc and I don't want to fry the new parts when they come in.

History..boat had a bad miss..loss of power and then had no spark at all...carbs and fuel system were fully gone through / replaced, ignition was never touched.

Thank you.

Presence of an AC voltage between the two brown wires says the charge coils are working, not necessarily failed. You need a DVA meter to determine the actual voltage output. Anyway, to check for grounded charge coils, disconnect both brown wires, then connect one lead of an ohm meter between a brown wire and other meter lead to ground. Should show a very high resistance or infinity. Low resistance means shorted coils to ground (not good)

Sorry for the confusion..I was trying to say when I test between the two brown wires themselves I do get the right voltage.
But when I hook the negative lead of multimeter to ground, the red lead to one brown wire at a time and crank the engine I get voltage there as well...book says I SHOULD NOT get voltage on the second test when negative lead is grounded.
Also, I do have a DVA that I am trying to learn how to use...still new to everything multimeter related.

Thank you.

Attached is the text from manual that shows the test I am referring to..made an image of it so I didn't have to type it out.
chrage-coil-stator-test.jpg

Well OK, they are saying to check voltage to ground while cranking. My way was to check resistance to ground, not cranking. Either is a valid test. If you are getting a cranking voltage to ground with both brown leads disconnected, it fails, as said in the instructions. EDIT: Make sure neither of the brown leads are grounded when making your tests. The fault could be in the charge coils or the wires. Wires can sometimes be repaired. Charge coils cannot. At least not in a practical sense.

Last edited:
Back