Logo

What is decarbing ?

Guessing it has something to do with the pistons and head. With my compression readings at 60and 65psi, thought it might bring readings up some to try this? Referring to my 1964 9.5 evinrude sportwin. Directions would be appreciated.

Directions are on the can -----BRP " powertune " is a good product.-----Some folks are keen to get rid of carbon on piston heads.----I have never worried about it.

Directions are on the can -----BRP " powertune " is a good product.-----Some folks are keen to get rid of carbon on piston heads.----I have never worried about it.
So it's a cleaner. Thought it might be. If carbon is built up on pistons would one gain any compression by cleaning with this product? And would this Intel removing head?

So it's a cleaner. Thought it might be. If carbon is built up on pistons would one gain any compression by cleaning with this product? And would this Intel removing head?

You might. Some say it can free stuck piston rings and that would most likely bring up compression. There is only one way to find out. I prefer sprayable seafoam but I really could not tell you if it is better then the BRP stuff or not.

Warm up the motor. Bring it to a fast idle. Spray seafoam through the carb 9 or 10 times. Let it bog on it a for those times and recover and then spray it liberally until the motor stalls. Then tilt up the motor and remove both spark plugs. Spray it into the cylinders and rotate the flywheel to get the stuff into the rings etcs. Let the motor sit for at least 30 minutes. Now replace the spark plugs, lower the motor into water and start it up and bring it to a fast idle. Spray some more through the carb and you are pretty much done. If you have the motor on a boat take it out and run it hard for 5 or 10 minutes at WOT to blow out all that seafoam and carbon.

You might. Some say it can free stuck piston rings and that would most likely bring up compression. There is only one way to find out. I prefer sprayable seafoam but I really could not tell you if it is better then the BRP stuff or not.

Warm up the motor. Bring it to a fast idle. Spray seafoam through the carb 9 or 10 times. Let it bog on it a for those times and recover and then spray it liberally until the motor stalls. Then tilt up the motor and remove both spark plugs. Spray it into the cylinders and rotate the flywheel to get the stuff into the rings etcs. Let the motor sit for at least 30 minutes. Now replace the spark plugs, lower the motor into water and start it up and bring it to a fast idle. Spray some more through the carb and you are pretty much done. If you have the motor on a boat take it out and run it hard for 5 or 10 minutes at WOT to blow out all that seafoam and carbon.
Thanks

Appreciate all your advice. Still waiting on a few new parts before I can run it steady enough to treat it.. I've just squirted alittle fuel in carb and cylinders and it fired and stumbled until fuel was spent. Put complete tune up on it and carb kit in. Well, except for the needle and gloat jet as the jet didn't quite thread in before feeling like it was going to cross thread with more pressure. And the hole in the new jet was alittle larger too. So I cleaned the old jet and needle and reused them. Everything else was spot on in the kit,and it stated it would fit my 64 model 9.5.....It seems to work when blowing into the fuel inlet,as it shuts off air flow when float is at level. Again thank to you all.

I have used Hoppes #9 rifle barrel cleaner to remove the baked on carbon from the head and piston tops. Brush on let soak wipe off. Repeat if needed. Melts that carbon right off.

Back