Logo

What engine do I have

most likely a 4.3 ltr non vortec, non balance shaft engine. you can put any 4.3 back in it as long as you use marine gaskets, brass expansion plugs and marine or truck cam.
the timing cover and oil pan wont fit either.
if your going new, get a long block with tin or if your going used, find an engine from a chevy/gm truck.
s10, silverado, astro van etc....

if you buy a replacement engine that is not the same vintage, the timing cover and oil pan is different for engines with a balance shaft.

Thanks again for the response

So any 4.3 engine that comes with oil pan and timing chain cover will work. ???
What is the difference in a vortec and standard engine

Thanks again for the response

So any 4.3 engine that comes with oil pan and timing chain cover will work. ???
What is the difference in a vortec and standard engine
Ayuh,.... Over the years the standard engine changed,..... Vortec heads were on the later,....

not exactly, so you need to have an engine with marine gaskets, brass expansion plugs and a marine cam ( truck cam will work as well) the vorec engine was introduced in the mid 90's and is a better engine. also it has the balance shaft which gives it a smoother idle.
the reason i talked about the timing cover and oil pan is because due to the balance shaft, the cover is designed differently.
you can utilize almost all the external parts from your old engine, the only item may be the intake manifold since the later engines utilized an 8 bolt intake where the older ones has 12. ( i think its 12) been a while since i did one.

i hope that didnt confuse you more..
what is your plan?
new, used, rebuilt?

The boat is in good shape but not worth a rebuilt or new engine.

Will be checking some local parts yards and see what I can find.

Then will do a compression test before I install it and hope the bottom end is good

Thanks again for all the help

Milton

if you have the capability to pull the heads off and change the gaskets, you can get an engine from an astrovan or the like.
pop out the expansion plugs and put the brass ones in .
reinstalling the heads on the 4.3 is easy. no valve andjustment needed. set and go.
you can probably get this all set up for under 700.00

Back