Logo

What does the LX signify on a b97 57LX

ants

"Hi, I have a merc 5.7l LX &#4

"Hi, I have a merc 5.7l LX (carbed / non EFI) from 1997. Can someone please tell me what the LX signifies?
I have been told that it is a 275hp version, in whih case how does that affect the specs, does it have a different cam, pistons, and crank etc? I need to get some rings and other parts (prob GLM / Sierra rather than orig) and dont want to get the wrong ones.

I have the '97 mercruiser catalogue and its not mentioned in there, but its definatley an LX as its shown on the engine printed labels, and the original mercruiser warrenty card. Serial number is 0K196955 if that helps.

Many thanks!

Anthony"

""Can someone please tell

""Can someone please tell me what the LX signifies?"

I dunno; maybe "LiX" up fuel faster?

Seriously, my book shows the 1997 5.7LX as a 250 hp 4 Bbl carbed engine.
It will have the standard 350 bore and stroke of 4.000" and 3.48" respectively.
If you are reboring you will need oversized pistons and rings accordingly, 20, 30, or 40 thou over.
If you are just deglazing get 10 thou over rings and file the ends to get the correct ring gap. Measure the cylinder taper carefully and if over 5 thou, think hard about a rebore.
You can get whatever you need at Autozone or NAPA.
Stay with the stock cam unless its shot.

Rod"

"[b]" how does that affect

"" how does that affect the specs, does it have a different cam, pistons, and crank etc? "

Ayuh,....

I believe the LX signifies the 4bbl. carb....

That's the Difference in the motors...."

Ahhh that makes sense. But do

Ahhh that makes sense. But do you think a 4bbl carb would give an extra 25hp to take it from norm 250 the the supposed 275?

Thanks Anthony

Back