Logo

What do I do to start a motor that has set up for 9 yrs please help

carl_baskins

I just bought a 1976 MerCruise

I just bought a 1976 MerCruiser 140hp ski boat that has set up for 9 yrs. what and where do I start to get this motor running?

"get some Mystery Oil, and som

"get some Mystery Oil, and some WD40, remove the spark plugs, and remove one of the wires to the ignition coil (+ or - Terminal), get a good battery and make sure the connections at the engine are clean either scrap with a knife or sandpaper or scratch pad.

Before the next step, use a wrench or other tool and try to turn the engine over by hand from the crank shaft pully, if it doesn't turn there you may have to try some other chemicals in the cylinders. If you can turn it over, then try the next step.

Leave the plugs out, pour about 1/4 cup into each cylinder let stand for a couple mins, then turn the key to turn the engine over.

I'd probably do this a couple times.

Before starting I would do a compression test of the engine to see where it's at.

Personally I would remove the engine, tear it down have a good look the water jacket around the #1 cylinder and inside the water drain hole at the back, and look and feel the cylinder walls, maybe remove 1 or all pistons to check the sides of the pistons for wear and either put in the original rings or new ones with a "light" hone to the cylinders, at least a good cleaning. Then I'd clean the oil pan, new gasket, an oil drain hose kit. get a valve job for the cylinder head, swap out the points and condensor for an Electronic ignition kit. Rebuild the carb of course, and have a really good look at the inside of the intake exhaust manifold, have the starter and altenator "repaired" - different from rebuilding(at least for my friendly starter/alt rebuild place). and put on new gaskets.

but that's me.
"

"Like Brian described.

Also

"Like Brian described.

Also do not forget to get all the old fuel out the tank, lines and put fresh fuel in (93+oct), replace (or clean) the fuel filter on the side of the engine, clean the fuel screen on the carb inlet, clean the carb bowl, and blow-air the main jet, replace the water to fuel seperator if there is one.
Better also replace the sparkplugs (43R).
Dont forget the shifter in neutral and the landyard kill switch before starting.
Good luck!"

Back