Logo

what carb would you recomend

old hatt

Contributing Member
I am considering replacement of both carbs on my 440's. I have previously had good luck with Edelbrock 1409 (600cfm) on small block chevy engines. Would this same carb be ok on the 440 or do you think the 1410 (750cfm) would be better. I am not looking for speed since this is a 34ft 15000 lb boat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks

I went with a 750CFM Barry Grant Sea Demon. I picked up a few hundred Rpms over the factory AFB. I've been very happy with it.

newcarb.jpg

If you're a nautical hot rodder go with the bigger carb. If not, go with the 1409. Your boat runs on the front barrels 90 % of the time anyway, so why not?

Jeff

PS: Frankly, if Edelbrock made a 300 cfm marine two barrel, I would have bought that instead.

The 1410 is correct for the 440. If propped correctly you should be running 2800-3000 rpm with the primary's 100% open and the secondaries closed, if you use the smaller 1409 you will have to cruise with the secondaries partially open to achieve the same rpm and mess up your mileage. If your original carbs have a lot of hours on them it's not worth rebuilding them because the throttle shaft bores will be worn causing vacuum leaks and need to be rebushed. Make sure you use a real marine carb that has the flare fittings for the hard fuel line as barb fittings and clamps are not Coast Guard approved between the fuel pump and carb (my insurance surveyor always checks this).

Dan

..."if you use the smaller 1409 you will have to cruise with the secondaries partially open to achieve the same rpm and mess up your mileage."

Not hardly. About 80 % of the power a four barreled carb engine makes comes from the primaries (without the secondaries even opening). My boat, for example, cruises at 2,500 rpms (about 20 mph) with the primaries open so little a pencil would not fit between the butterfly and the carb barrel! (I marked the throttles and found this out to my astonishment.) The hp increase after the secondaries open is much smaller than people think.

Jeff

I want to cruise and then go like as fast as it can without blowing it up Lol or how much can a stock 427 ford fe in a big boat take with out drownding? ?

Soulds good would that be a double pumper with mechanical secondarys or that in a 800 to leave room for a better cam in the future.

The 1410 is correct for the 440. If propped correctly you should be running 2800-3000 rpm with the primary's 100% open and the secondaries closed, if you use the smaller 1409 you will have to cruise with the secondaries partially open to achieve the same rpm and mess up your mileage. If your original carbs have a lot of hours on them it's not worth rebuilding them because the throttle shaft bores will be worn causing vacuum leaks and need to be rebushed. Make sure you use a real marine carb that has the flare fittings for the hard fuel line as barb fittings and clamps are not Coast Guard approved between the fuel pump and carb (my insurance surveyor always checks this).

Dan

FEDERAL LAW

183.558 - Hoses and connections

(a) Each hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor must be "USCG Type A1" hose.

If a hose is used in the fuel line running between the fuel pump and the carburetor, the hose must be "USCG Type A1" and so labeled as required by 183.540. This requirement is applicable whether the fuel pump is engine mounted or mounted remotely from the engine, as permitted by 183.566.

This requirement does not apply to a tube used to detect fuel pump diaphragm failure.

TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW

A hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor is "USCG Type A1."

Back