Logo

What am I looking at?

Bennylt

Same engine. On the left is '87 mercury 35 hp. On the right is '86 mercury 35 hp. The 87 runs great. I got the powerhead for a song when the guy shredded his lower. I was going to drop the 87 powerhead on to mine which currently doesn't run. But the drive shafts are different. What is the extension thing sticking out of the one on the left. Can I remove it to fit to my drive shaft?

http://i.imgur.com/3kKIWTF.jpgu

Last edited:
If it's 5" long I would (guess) that it's a stub shaft to convert it to a 20" (from 15") or 25" (from 20") as part of an (aftermarket) extension kit for the motor.

If so you can remove it.

I hope so. I can't find that "part" itself on the parts diagrams.
It doesn't just pull off though. I tried. Any suggestions?

It's like 3.75 inches long. Seems very well attached to the crank. But again on the parts diagram the crank itself shouldn't stick out like that.

Last edited:
I confirmed with the seller it is a short shaft to long shaft conversion. I already have a long shaft. I just need to figure out how to remove it. It seems frozen to the crank. And nowhere to attach a puller.

Penetrating oil, liquid wrench etc - soak it out well.

Then maybe some heat and see if you can tap (don't wail on it) with a hammer to try and break the bond.

Not uncommon to get a frozen driveshaft. In this case the stub wouldn't have even routinely been pulled when the lower end was (was probably frozen in fairly early after install).

Thanks. I'll go with that. I'll hang it upside down and douse with penetrating oil.

I found a trick online. cut a piece of pipe just long enough to sit on the housing around the shaft, long nough so the tube ends just below the step up. then use a "pickle fork" separator to help pull the shaft from the housing.

It sounds like it would work...

Back