Logo

Well, I broke my fork

myquest

Contributing Member
Well, out on the lake the week of the 4th we had a good time running the boat around with minimal issues. Hard to hold on course with a serious pull to the port side was the main one. When we put the boat back on the trailer at the end of the week I found a broken suspension fork. I was having trouble getting the outdrive to latch down and I think the pushrod was not fully retracted. Lesson learned. Now I have located a replacement suspension fork but need some advise on replacing it. 1986 275 outdrive.
suspension fork.jpg

Transmission and lower unit must be removed.
Watch for the shims underneath the transmission driven gear bearing retainer.

The pivot tube is somewhat of a friction fit within the Intermediate housing. This will give you the most resistance.
Use a small propane torch and heat the inside area within the exhaust bellows connecting port.
This will ever so slightly expand the aluminum, and will removal easier.

The pivot is rather soft, so you'll need to be very careful in that you do not damage either end of it.
I recommend using nothing harder than an Italian Bread Stick. ;)

Both ends must form a critical seal; the beaded gasket at the top...... and the fat O-ring at the bottom.
Damage this, and you may breach suction!

The pivot tube will come out the bottom, and will release the reverse latch bearing sleeve, the two plastic washers, the SS washer, etc.
The Rev Latch unit can be removed from the fork without disassembling it.... same with the push rod.
It's tricky, but it will come from the fork without disassembly. Been there/done that, and many times.

I'd install a new caged needle bearing, the two seals, and the upper plastic bushing while at it.

The grease port for the caged needle bearing is Volvo Penta's attempt at humor for all owners, so be sure to hand pack the needles with grease.

The pivot tube needle bearing surface may be somewhat rusted, so place the pivot tube's best bearing surface forward.

Tip:
Reinstall the suspension fork and Intermediate housing prior to installing the transmission and lower unit onto it.
You can install the lower unit if you want to, but definitely leave the transmission off until the assembly has been installed onto the transom shield.

I'll buy dinner if this proves to not be easier.

Edit: all suspension forks of this style will interchange with each other....., but note that the 250 suspension fork has bronze inserts at each side.
(SEQ #14 here)
5972.jpg

Some suggest that this fork is not quite as strong.... and I agree.
For V-8 power, I'd avoid the 250 suspension fork.

Last edited:
What kind of advice? The SELOC manual describes the operation in detail, and so does the OEM manual.

Advise like Rick gave. The little things that may not be emphasized in the manual. Of course I plan on using the manual but I also like to mine the expertise on this forum because there are many wise Volvo magicians out there that help guide me on my path to boating Nirvana. :)
Thanks Rick

You're welcome, but please don't discount Eduardo's advice.
He knows as much and more about this, and more about these little OHC Volvo Penta engines than I ever will.
I'm perhaps a bit more wordy.... but that's about it.

Sorry if I came across that way and did not mean to downplay Eduardo's knowledge. I appreciate everyone's advise and expertise. The reply from you was exactly what I was hoping to get. Thanks, your friend Brad has the part I need and hopefully the bearing, seals and bushing.
Apologies to Eduardo. :cool:

Sorry if I came across that way and did not mean to downplay Eduardo's knowledge. I appreciate everyone's advise and expertise. The reply from you was exactly what I was hoping to get. Thanks, your friend Brad has the part I need and hopefully the bearing, seals and bushing.
Apologies to Eduardo. :cool:

No apologies needed, Rick. Yo haven't said anything wrong. Not knowing your mechanical background, I just wasn't sure if you needed anything outside what the vast majority of people would need to conduct that operation without making any major $.crew-ups.

Also, remember that the trick is not just reaching the boating Nirvana, but rather trying to make it there without becoming broke in the process. This is where this forum can be of help. :D

Back