Logo

Weight difference

oceanpearl

I have a starbord list. My Por

I have a starbord list. My Port eng. is 270 hp / 350 cubic Crusader Carberated. My starbord eng. is a 5.7 (315hp) 350 cubic Crusader weighting 950 lb.s Would like to know weight of the 270 hp port eng.

"I guess having a starboard li

"I guess having a starboard list is similar to a speed impediment. (joke)
Nevertheless, I would think that the 350 blocks weight approximately the same and differences can be from the attached equipment, although, normally I would think it would take a 100# or so to make a substantial list and would suspect it due to the loading of your boat equipment, water tanks; design of the boat or something major to tilt the vessel. Wait! Soon enough on this Message Board...other opinions will be expressed and hopefully answer your ????'s."

also have A/C unit on starbord

also have A/C unit on starbord and am trying to determine if combined weight of both may be the cause of my list

"If both engines have similar

"If both engines have similar cooling systems, there shouldn't be any significant difference there.

depending upon how narrow the boat's beam is (sensitivity to list) and the location of any accessories (and its mass), your 'list' may be expected.

Typically, the large mass items inducing a list are tanks - water and holding, in particular. Auxilary fuel tanks will also do it...pretty much anything not installed over the keel (unless in pairs, centered off the keel)."

"You will have to reconfigure

"You will have to reconfigure your load, shifting heavier items to the port side where possible. The next time you haul out for maintenance you should be able to find someone with scales used for weighing trucks on the roadside. They weigh individual wheels...I can't see why they couldn't weight port and starboard so you can see the actual total difference from one side to the other."

Back