Logo

Weep hole is now a super soaker

gone_postal

Regular Contributor
"98 Johnson 90hp - J90ELECM

"98 Johnson 90hp - J90ELECM

Had this motor rebuilt 5 months ago and builder decided to run it w/out thermostats (stated warm weather here made them unnecessary). Well, I decided to put some in b/c I decided the engineers at Johnson know more than he does. I ordered two new stats & springs and put them in last night. I started the motor today and the water coming out of the weep hole (think that's its name - hole in back) shoots out 10 feet!! Definitely not what it use to do w/out stats. I've also NEVER seen another motor do this. I ran it on my water hose for almost 10min w/ no change. Water shooting out is warm and there is water coming out from foot of the motor which is also warm, but not near as much as "pre-stats". No "hot" alarm has kicked on, but I don't have a temp gun to monitor head temps. They are hot to the touch - manual states 145* +- 15*. I'm guessing that's what they are??

Any ideas? Is this "normal"? I'm about to take it out and am bringing a rachet w/ me in case it overheats - then I'll just remove the stats so I can get home. I can only assume everything is functional b/c it's all new...."

"Alright Mort, did just that.

"Alright Mort, did just that. (caught quite a few fish too). The water pressure never changed though. It sprays out HARD. Had several people at the ramp do a "double take" (could also be b/c my motor is the loudest one on earth for some reason). Anyway, no alarm and it ran fine, but after flushing it out again at house, the water coming from the bottom front of the foot (little ledge right about cone) barely trickles out - use to pour over that like a waterfall. Is this normal?? I'm not sure if OEM service manual has a cooling diagram, but I'm curious to know the water's journey through the motor..."

FWIW your almost describing wh

FWIW your almost describing what my '79 Johnson 100 to the T.

I've got very good flow from the tell tail and decent flow from the holes in the foot.

"I just want to clarify someth

"I just want to clarify something here b/c I'm not 100% sure you understand and I'm still nervous. Not only is it shooting out 10 feet, but it's not a small stream. I'm actually not even sure how this much water comes out of that little hole. It honestly looks like someone is spraying a water hose. It is not a concentrated 1/8" stream of water like I've seen from every other outboard in existence. More like 1/2 - 3/4" and spraying HARD. I'm gonna try and take a picture tomorrow b/c it truly is ridiculous. I just don't see what could be wrong though?!?"

"Just relax. It can not be too

"Just relax. It can not be too strong.
When it starts getting weak again, more like the old V6 loopers, it is time to be worried and replace the impeller again and even when you start notice that the amount spraying out varies with thermostats closing and opening. Up to 5 years may be a reasonable impeller life time, normally I would change it after 3."

"Well, if you say so. The only

"Well, if you say so. The only reason I'm concerned is I'm worried that the water should be going elsewhere, but it's being shot out the back. I'm just not familiar w/ the path the water takes through the motor. You know, path of least resistance and since it spit "normally" before the stats, it just concerns me that something isn't right and they're not letting the water properly circulate. Spent over $3k on this build....not doing it again."

The only 'danger' afte

The only 'danger' after a rebuild of those engines is that the re-builder has used to much RTF (Black silicone) around the cooling channels. This may get loose and block the thermostats. Just pull the thermostats and check that they are not blocked.
If you have the original nozzle in the tell-tale nipple it is no problem.

"just had a90 hp ficht that ha

"just had a90 hp ficht that had to much water pressure pulled the power head and replaced the base gasket that cured the problem, at low speed idle you should have about 6 lbs of pressure and wide open between 24 and 30ish"

Back