Logo

Weber/Carter Accelerator pump differences

DWinTX

Hey guys, I have a 93 4.3LX with the Weber 4bbl. I was converting it from a stove choke to an electric and decided to go ahead and rebuild it while I had it out. I bought a kit, but also noticed that there was a marine-spec accelerator pump available. This is it (about 1/2 way down the page, part # cu 1471:

http://www.carburetion.com/Carter4.htm

The pics I attached show 3 pumps. The one on the left is the cu 1471, the middle is the one that was in the carb, and the one on the right is the one that came in the kit. Since the kit is for a Carter, rather than a Weber, I assume the one in there is automotive, but the one in the carb now is the same except for the color of the rubber, which is probably just discolored from being soaked in gas for years. But the marine pump has a metal shaft, and the base is differently shaped. Was the carb rebuilt before with an automotive kit? It wasn't running too badly, maybe a little rough, but not a big deal. Should I go ahead and use the cu 1471?

This is my first build of a Carter-style carb, done a couple of Holleys and an Autolite or two. Never build a marine carb before.

Thanks.

Attachments

• weberaccpump 002.jpg
    weberaccpump 002.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 53
  • weberaccpump 001.jpg
    weberaccpump 001.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 44
... 93 4.3LX with the Weber 4bbl.; the kit is for a Carter, rather than a Weber...

Are the kits interchangeable? Did you buy the kit using the Weber carb number in the Merc. parts illustration? My guess is the 1471 w/a brass rod is probably why it's "marine" rated.

I've read a lot of info on the web that these Webers are basically a Carter carb, even though Edelbrock now owns the design and manufactures them under their label. I have an old Carter Competition Series carb that was on an old Mopar I'm restoring and they look exacly alike, inside and out, with the exception of a minor change or two to make them marine rated. The Weber kits I saw were rediculously expensive compared to an aftermarket kit for a Carter or Edelbrock.

As a matter of fact, these carbs:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/marine.shtml

are Edelbrocks version of the Carter/Weber for marine use. I read some posts on another boat forum that the kits for the 1409 had been used on the Webers and they worked fine. I guess I'll try the marine pump. If it doesn't work, I can always swap 'er out.

Back