Logo

Weak Spark 54 Evinrude

kerry_smith

"I replaced the ignition syste

"I replaced the ignition system on my 1954 Evinrude 25hp ob motor two years ago.(plugs, couls, condensors, points and rebuilt the carb.) I lost spark about two weeks ago so I replaced all of the above again. I noticed the travel of the points was not as far. The points are about half the gap (.020) that they were, now about .010. The spark is there but weak. The old points have the same issue after re-installing. If the lobe on the top of the crand shaft that moves the points is gone then what...duct tape? Any ideas? Compression seems to be fine although not verified I don't understand how the lobe on top of the crank could have wore down but the crank shaft still appear to be fien."

"Very unlikely that the cam is

"Very unlikely that the cam is worn whether it is a separate slide on cam or a machined portion of the crankshaft.

Be sure to install the lubrication wick when installing points. Set the points as follows:

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back