Logo

Weak spark ‘96 Evinrude V6 150 60 deg Looper

Woodybelle

Contributing Member
Have weak spark on all (6) cylinders / no start condition. Motor will fire (not run) with starter fluid. Possible fuel delivery issues have been eliminated. Rebuilt carbs have been synchronized and timing set with OMC analyzer. New parts include: ignition coils, wires, power pack, timing sensor, ignition switch, etc. The (new) timing sensor has been tested (good) using the OMC analyzer. I assume that the timing sensor test would have revealed an issue with the sensor coil????

After reviewing OMC manual (and two others), I saw no mention of troubleshooting or diagnosis for WEAK spark. Abundant direction offered for every other combination of spark / no spark. I doubt the diagnosis for “weak spark” is the same as for “no spark,” since “stop circuit” and “shift switch” should be out of the equation. Besides, I have tested both of those circuits. Regardless, I believe my testing progression should have revealed the current issues/s.

I tested stator (still on the motor). Impedance (orange stator wire to orange/black stator wire) measured 54 ohms (good). Cranking voltage was present indicating grounding / bad stator….according the OMC service manual.

Bottom line: A new CDI stator is scheduled for delivery next week. Hopefully, the solution will be with the stator replacement.

Given the delay in getting parts, I’d like to know if any other parts should be considered, tested, and ordered. Am I on the correct path? Is there any other issues I should be considering?

Forgot to mention: Batteries fully charged.

Thanks in advance for input.

Last edited:
What is the starting procedure?-------Key pushed in and HELD IN till motor fires ?------Electric primer VALVE tested ?

If it will pop off with starter fluid ignition aint the problem....just saying.

I offer a little background. When I bought the motor/boat, I had no spark. After replacement of many components, I achieved spark and was able to get the motor started, although it was VERY stubborn. It barely ran, coughing, sneezing, snorting, etc, and only for several minutes without stalling. At that time, I was convinced I had a fuel delivery problem….or at least a lean condition. Since I had already replaced filters, fuel primer bulb, rebuilt the carbs, I decided to rebuild the VRO, although I had little evidence it was the source of the problem, and installed new seals in the fuel primer. I also replaced the vacuum switch. I synched carbs and set timing with OMC analyzer. Still no cigar.

I temporarily set the project aside last spring, since I was moving. I returned this fall. Still believing it was a lean condition issue, I decided to rebuild the carbs (again), but this time installing new float bowls and adding fender washers to the side plates. As mentioned previously, I (again) installed a new (brown) throttle body gasket and opted to remove the intake manifold and replaced its gasket. Checked recirculation lines and routing. Still “no start.” I am definitely getting fuel to the carbs (carb bowls full after priming), so unless I have bad leaf valves, which I inspected during manifold removal, I should be getting fuel into the cylinders. In fact, I know I’m getting fuel delivery, since the plugs get wet after so many attempts at starting. Incidentally, I am using a new auxiliary fuel tank with fresh gas. Btw, compression is 95-100 in all cylinders….not fantastic, but certainly adequate to get it started.

My next steps will be to (again) re-recheck carb synch / timing (again) and replacement of the stator, which is due to arrive Friday. If no success after the last two steps mentioned, I don’t what else to consider.

Thank you again for offering help. Obviously, I can use all I can get, which seems scarce in these parts (OBX). None of the techs have interest in working on these motors. To make the matter worse, although the boat is on the trailer, I currently am unable to transport it to a shop, and what few mobile techs I have located have no interest in my Evinrude. Besides, based upon what little conversation I have had with some of the local techs, I’m not altogether certain they would do much better.
If nothing else, many thanks for listening.

Back