Logo

waterpump failure bf90

The impeller went out completely while on the water. Got the red overheat indicator and the buzzer I shut it down immediately and got towed in. Would you recommend using the oem honda part kit or is the sierra part kit ok to use. Any tips for changing out the impeller.
Thanks

Just my opinion but I would definitely stick with the Honda parts. Not knowing what year yours is, below is a breakdown from boats.net for a 2007.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... LRTA /WATER PUMP + VERTICAL SHAFT/parts.html

The parts I would recommend replacing AT A MINIMUM are:

1...3...4...5...7...9...and 34. Depending on the condition, you may also want to replace part #2, the plastic housing. They can get hot and deform.

I have not done one of these so I can't give you specifics on the tear down except to say that you need to follow the shift shaft separation procedure to a "T" so you don't have any problems putting it back properly. You need to make sure to get ALL the gear case bolts out and not force anything if it is stuck. While most times they will pretty much fall off, sometimes they need a nudge to come off of a crusty extension case.

Prepare yourself a "test tank" (trash can) for starting and checking the job when you are finished. Make sure that the water in the tank is a few inches above the cavitation plate so that you don't "dry start" your new impeller.

We always recommend the HELM INC. shop manual for DIYers but many balk at the cost of around $90. It can save you thousands though, so consider it.

Thanks, the year is a 1998 so I believe that it has the mercury gear case from some of the research I have see on the forums. The price difference from a sierra 30$ to a Honda 168$ is far apart, but if you believe that the Honda part is that much more reliable I will stick with the Honda impeller kit.

I took my Honda 50 to a(non-Honda) marine repair shop for an impeller change. They used a Sierra part that looked identical but as soon as I went to idle the overheat light and buzzer came on. Paid all over again to have the Honda part installed and all was fine. Lesson learned!

Yeah, I see what you mean about the price. But, as davidm's testimonial suggests, the extra $100 might be cheap insurance. I really don't know. What I do know, and why I recommend the Honda parts, is that Honda typically makes and sells only quality. However, they sure didn't make that gearcase did they? So...good luck, whatever you decide.

If it is a 1998, then it probably is a Mercury gearcase.

The water pumps are vastly different between the Mercury gearcase and the later Honda one. If you are not sure which it is....look at the water intakes in front of the prop. If they are just round holes with metal screens inside, then it is a Mercury gearcase. If the water intakes have plastic rectangular covers, then it is the later Honda model.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it is the mercury gear case, is there any cross reference guide to just get the quicksilver mercury impeller part kit, I look on some online marine part store and it looks like the Honda marine part is just a relabeled more expensive mercury quicksilver part. Could I call the Honda service number as maybe they could find out. Thanks Again
Gulfcoastsurf

No cross reference that I know of. I think the Merc repair kit is 46-43024A7 lists for $107.50. I have to double check to see what we have at work to be sure.

Mike

Back