Logo

Wateroil sludge clean up

newfoundland_rob

"Hi guys, I've got a 350 M

"Hi guys, I've got a 350 Mag. MPI engine that hydrolocked due to cracked/leaking water jacket, thought it had seized at first. now the heads are off and everything is covered in white sludge, how would you guys go about cleaning it up before everything goes back together, anything specific to watch out for, that kind of thing? Also, whats' your opinion on stainless steel manifolds, I haven't bought new ones yet to replace the one that cracked and the other old one, thinkin about which ones to get, OSCO, OMC, or Hi Tek marines stainless steel. Any help much appreciated, thanks"

"Find a local machine shop and

"Find a local machine shop and have them "Hot tanked". or soak them down with spray degreaser, hot them with water and clean up the mess.. Hot tanking is cleaner."

"thanks for the quick reply Br

"thanks for the quick reply Brian, I've already got the heads clean, it's the engine itself that I'm wondering about (sorry about that, my question wasn't that clear). Everything is covered with this sludge, mechanic said it looked to have been taking in water for a while. I don't have the engine pulled,hoping to clean everything up, put er back together with new gasket set and new manifolds and risers and change the oil and fire it up (be nice if it went that smooth) any more thoughts? Thanks again

Thanks"

"If it hydrauliccaly locked up

"If it hydrauliccaly locked up, I'd be inclined to pull it, break it down, and make sure nothing interanlly was damaged. If that sludge has been sitting in the oil galley and on the bearings, that's another reason to tear it down. The longer it has sat, the more risk you are taking.

If you are the sporting type, and you are just worried about the cylinders and the lifter valley, blot it up with a bunch of paper towels and then spray it down with WD-40 and repeat until you are satisfied.

Don't forget to drain the oil pan when done as it will hold all the rest of the crap. I'd have fresh oil in the pan ASAP and then get an oil pump primer and pressurize the galley and turne the engine over by hand.

You'll also need to clean out the lifters. I'd also consider the timing chain...

good luck"

Back