Logo

Water Temp light and alarm on a 1999 Evinrude 175hp Ficht.

WVBassman

I have a 1993 Javelin 389T with a recently installed 1999 Evinrude 175hp Ficht motor, model#E175FPLEEC. I have system check gauges also. While fishing a tournament last weekend my Water Temp alarm sounded, the light came on and my motor went into SLOW mode. Outside temp was in the 40's that morning and it was raining hard. That morning, I didn't have any issues at first start and takeoff. After fishing a few hours, I went to make another run. Before boat got up on plane, the alarm and light came on and it went into SLOW mode. After several attempts, I got up on plane and went down the lake. After fishing a while longer, went to leave again and same thing happened. A few more attempts and we were gone again. Coming in to the marina, up on plane, light and alarm and SLOW again. Alarm went off, light went out, idled to marina and trailored. Back at the campground that evening, I backflushed the motor. Next morning, no rain, temp was mid 30's. Boat was warming up as number was called. Made a run up lake with no issues. Went to make another run later and as we got up on plane, same sequence again. I checked the pee hole and it had a steady stream. Shut the motor off, waited a few minutes, then tried again. After a few attempts, we went back down lake with no issues. An hour later, went to move again and same thing happened. Made it back with no other alarms. Took it back to the lake one morning later in the week to check it out. Took off just fine. After an hour, made another run and it went just fine. An hour later, started it up to come back, and same sequence: alarm, Water Temp light, SLOW mode. Waited a few minutes, then tried again. Got up on plane and took off just fine. Just before I got to the no wake zone, alarm, light, SLOW. Idled through no wake zone, took off just fine. Back at the ramp, no issues. Idled fine, and good steady stream of water. Can anyone give me some assistance? I've had this motor since May and this is the first issue I've had with it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Those engines might be a bit tricky if not reaching recommended max rpm, or even if the throttle cable is not correctly adjusted!! You would in fact need the diagnostic programmer to get it correct.
However it might be as simple as a defective temp switch??
Try and figure out which switch (cylinder bank) that gets overheated, then use an IR gun to check the temp.

I'm turning 5400 - 5500 rpm's with a 24p Turbo 2+2 prop. I received the Evinrude software with the motor when I purchased it from the marina, but it's a floppy disk and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. Learned last week that even if you make a CD of the software, it won't install onto a PC. It has to be loaded from the floppy. I looked up the Temp Sensor on the port side head. I pulled it out and inspected it for any damage, but didn't see anything. I know there's another sensor on the starboard head also, the one with one tan wire. Of course, I also thought maybe one or both of my thermostats may be bad, but they were both replaced in May. Since I bought this motor used, I did some preventative mantenance before running it: new water impeller, lower unit oil, installed the wiring harness adapter for the new wiring with system check gauge, and the new t-stats. Also went to a 950amp cranking battery since this one has the computer and uses more juice than my old Fast Strike.

I'm going to take it to my local Evinrude mechanic and let him check it out. I know he has the software on his laptop. I'm done with tournaments for this year. Hunting season is here now and i don't have time to fish and hunt at the same time. I honestly just want to sell the motor and get a carbed 200 Johnson/Evinrude. Not crazy about all the bells and whistles associated with this one.

I like the motor. This is the only issue I've had with it, and I don't think it's something major because it doesn't do it all of the time. I just don't see all of the hype about the fuel injected models and how they get better fuel economy. It seems to me that I got better fuel mileage with my Fast Strike when I pre-mixed. I'm in no hurry to make any changes. I've got all winter to get it done. We've already had our first snow here, so the boat is in the garage for the season now.

On top end you will get the same mileage on the old carbed as the newer injected Ficht/E-Tech. The advantage is further down in the rpm 's. Try trolling with a Ficht/E-tech and the carbed Fast Strike and you will notice!!

I noticed the first time I had it out that it idled through the no wake zones smooth. And it responds well to my Hot Foot throttle. This 175 and the 150 Fast Strike I replaced both run my boat 60 mph (gps) at 5400 - 5500 rpm's with the prop I have. I thought the 175 should have added a few more mph's. But it is what it is. I have a Raker 24p, but found out after I purchased it that it had cup and pitch added to it. At 5000 rpm's, it produces the same speed as the Turbo 2+2 at 5400 rpm's. Can this motor be used without the thermostats? I know some mechanics that removed them from Merc Black Max motors.

Messing with engine temp and you mess up the EMM!!
Lower the temp, it will inject more fuel and create more soot that will at the end seize up the engine.

Don't want to mess up the EMM, that's too expensive to replace. I was just curious if it could be done with this motor. Like I said, I'd really like to replace it with a 200. I know a 200 will get me to the 70mph range, and allow me to run with the guys that I fish against. And with a carbed engine I wouldn't have to worry about the EMM or fuel injectors or any of the other Ficht related issues I've heard and read about.

After doing some reading on different forums and comparing issues, I'm wondering if my vapor separator may be clogged. When this has happened, the water temp light comes on and sounds the alarm and it goes into SLOW, but the check engine light doesn't come on. If the check engine light doesn't come on, does this still record a code? I'm going to check the hoses to and from the ECU and check the separator this evening.

I haven't had it checked with the software yet. I can't install the software because my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive and I don't have an external floppy drive either. The Check Engine Light hasn't come on. I didn't know if it would record a code if the light didn't come on. The only light that came on was the Water Temp, along with the alarm and the motor going into SLOW. This lasted for about a minute, then resumed normal. It did it as I got on the throttle to head in. I finally got it to get up on plane and take off by slowly giving it throttle and letting it come up on plane at lower rpm's, then trimming up and easing the throttle more. I didn't run it at WOT rpm's going back. I kept it around 4800 to be safe. One thing I have noticed with this motor, the water pressure at WOT never goes above 17 or 18 psi. Even after installing a new water impeller. My local OMC mechanic said that 17 or 18 psi is ok. But after reading several posts on different forums, and seeing what some other owners have said their psi is, I've wondered if that was too low.

Hello guy can you show where location air temp sensor I just bought the boat when I opened the cow and saw it lay down the bottom my motor 1999 evinrude fitch 200hp I tried to put it back I don’t know where Thanks

Back