Logo

Water pump replacement help 1981 Johnson 35

JT240Z

OK, it's time to replace the water pump on my 1981 Johnson 35HP motor. Model number J35ELCIG. I've dropped the gear housing and found that the original water pump was installed backwards by some previous owner. Just as a sanity check, I'm inserting the pump rotor by putting in in while turning it counter clockwise. Is this correct?

Bigger issue is: Any suggestions on how to reinstall the gear housing once the pump is installed? Seems like the water pipe wants to bend as I try to insert it into the pump seal and raise the gear housing. I'm worried that I'm going to bend it too much. Any suggestions on how to make reinstallation easier?

Anyone replace the water pipe with a rubber hose in order to make it easier to reassemble? Just thinking in case the pipe bends or breaks. Can't seem to locate a replacement pipe.

I like to change the bushings at the same time,a little lubricant on the pipe. You can reach up there with some long needle noses or a hemostat to remove the old.I think I put the top of the water tube in first ,been a while though.

Back