Logo

Water pump only "burbles" water, no force

benr

Hey, I've got a 1960 Evinrude sportwin 10 (10020)
When I got it it wasn't moving water at all, I got a new oem impeller and bottom pump gasket, tested it and no change, I added a small amount of rtv on the metal plate and there's now enough pressure to make it above the stem, I have a new water pump assembly on order but it'll be a few months, any ideas on what else could be wrong?

Thanks,
Ben

My apologies I was confused a bit, this is my first outboard,
How are you supposed to test it with the water 8" above the pump if the stem of the pump is only 1 1/2-2" ?

I have the lower end off of the motor, and am spinning the shaft with a drill. The outlet spout of the water pump only comes up maybe 2". I can get a bigger bucket, but if I do, how do I test it? Again this is my first time working on an outboard, I'm sorry for the lack of understanding.

I'm trying to upload a picture but I'm having issues

These pumps are very simple.--- i have never had to test one with a drill.----Put lower unit on.-----Put motor in test bucket with water 8" above impeller.----Test run.

I have the lower end off of the motor, and am spinning the shaft with a drill. The outlet spout of the water pump only comes up maybe 2". I can get a bigger bucket, but if I do, how do I test it? Again this is my first time working on an outboard, I'm sorry for the lack of understanding.

Does the water

The water comes out with the exhaust less that 8" above the pump, what should I be watching for? Just water coming out I'm assuming?

Hurry to -----leroysramblings-----On that website you can learn in 55 MINUTES about outboard motors.----Took me 55 YEARS to learn about how that simple QD-20 works.

Photo is probably to big, resize the jpeg image.

Back