Logo

Water pump installation question 2004 90

eager25

Perhaps this is a dumb question but, I just recently purchased a water pumpkit for my 2004 90 horse and the impeller has a plastic wedge instead of the half moon key that came with the kit that I ordered last year. I went with a different resource for ordering the part and I'm curious if it is possible that I unintentionally ordered the wrong part or if somehow the plastic wedge will work in place of the Half Moon Key. I would prefer to not tear into the new package and get it all dirty if I'm going to have to return it.
The part I ordered was
Sierra 18-3392
My boat is Johnson J90PL4SRC

Well I've got a new impeller coming. Taking the water pump apart I noticed the case is pretty grooved up from sand. Is this part of the water pump case able to be fixed with a Cup or am I going to have to buy a new one?

If your housing is metal, heavy, it does not have a separate impeller cup.

Plastic housings have the replaceable impeller cup.

Okay so I replaced my impeller and the housing and all the gaskets and everything. My Telltale is putting out a stream but it's not a big stream. I thought that I read somewhere that Johnson Outboards don't really have a lot of volume coming through The Telltale. Is this correct?

I was using muffs, it was not in the water. It also seems to have a better flow through the Telltale at idle than when I give it a little gas.

Back