Logo

Water pump indicator stream

Old Machinist

I current own a 1977 Evinrude 115 HP. This old model was before they put water pump indicator stream. I recently was working on a 1987 88 HP. I noticed the back plate between cylinder banks looked exactly the same as on my 1977 115 HP except for 115 motor plate wasn't drilled or tapped.
If I take the plate off of my 115 HP, and drill and tap plate and add fittings. Can I add this feature to my old 115 HP? Are the blocks the same?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared
old Machinist

I current own a 1977 Evinrude 115 HP. This old model was before they put water pump indicator stream. I recently was working on a 1987 88 HP. I noticed the back plate between cylinder banks looked exactly the same as on my 1977 115 HP except for 115 motor plate wasn't drilled or tapped.
If I take the plate off of my 115 HP, and drill and tap plate and add fittings. Can I add this feature to my old 115 HP? Are the blocks the same?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared
old Machinist
yes,you can add it
No,the blocks are not the same.

I am pretty sure there is a place on the top of the starboard top cylinder that can be drilled and fitted. I know there was on the 1973 115 that i used to have because i added one there. That way the water is coming from the top of cylinder. If you drill out the back plate, you need to route the hose up over the cylinder head and back down to the tell tale fitting in the shroud. I think there is a bulletin about that for the 87 88hp model.

Back