Logo

water not pumping on outboard

DGriff

I have an older 15hp Honda outboard that usually runs like a top. Yesterday I started it in my driveway with mufflers on and within a few second water spat out the tell tale at a decent rate. As the engine warmed, however, the water slowed and stopped.
I have checked the impeller, it seems fine. I have blown air through water pipes and can't find any plugs. Have checked for a plug at the spout. I started it again and the very same thing happened. Now I've pulled the thermostat and while it looked a little grubby it wasn't too bad - and it did work properly when I put it into a bowl of hot water.
Essentially the engine draws and blows water when cold, then as it heats, the water volume gradually reduces to nothing.
I'm no mechanic and sure will appreciate some advice. Thanks

Hi,
I'm afraid she's toast. You will need to scrap it out and buy a new one.

JUST KIDDING!

What you WILL need to do though to solve this "problem" is to remove the tell tale fitting that screws into the side of the block and start her up and let her clear out the passage with water pressure from the pump.

We just saw this exact same scenario here, on the Forum, a couple of days ago. Small debris like pebbles or twigs get pulled in but are to large to get past that fitting. Pulling it out and clearing the passage works when nothing else will.

Also, another problem can be the plastic hose from the nipple on the fitting to the spout on the outboard cover gets pinched due to improper routing. Or, it gets hard and traps debris just because it's old.

Did you know that little hose should be changed every two years??
Well, neither does anyone else! That hose needs to be fresh, soft and supple so much of the small stuff can get through.

Anyway, try that and let us know how you make out.

Hi,
I'm afraid she's toast. You will need to scrap it out and buy a new one.

JUST KIDDING!

What you WILL need to do though to solve this "problem" is to remove the tell tale fitting that screws into the side of the block and start her up and let her clear out the passage with water pressure from the pump.

We just saw this exact same scenario here, on the Forum, a couple of days ago. Small debris like pebbles or twigs get pulled in but are to large to get past that fitting. Pulling it out and clearing the passage works when nothing else will.

Also, another problem can be the plastic hose from the nipple on the fitting to the spout on the outboard cover gets pinched due to improper routing. Or, it gets hard and traps debris just because it's old.

Did you know that little hose should be changed every two years??
Well, neither does anyone else! That hose needs to be fresh, soft and supple so much of the small stuff can get through.

Anyway, try that and let us know how you make out.

Thanks! By removing the thermostat I think I freed up enough space for the debris to pass. I ran it without the therm for a few min, then replaced it and she is back to normal. I'll pull the large rubber tube from the therm housing this weekend and run it again, just to make sure. Appreciate your help - THANK YOU

Back