Logo

Water leaking thru transom

jranderson

I recently pulled my 91 DP-B upper gear case, removed the 454 engine to replace the main shaft bearings and reinstalled. The rubber ring on the end of the bell housing looked just fine. I tightend all the casing bolts but it seems that I have a small leak coming in from the transom. My Question is has anyone tried to seal this part of the transom from inside the boat with a RTV type sealer? Trying not to have to pull the engine again!!
Thanks for any info.
Jr.

Jr, the inboard rubber cushion ring provides the water sea and should have been replace with new.
The old ones have taken a set by now, and have lost their resiliency.

Regarding the PDS bearings, be sure that you prefilled the grease cavity with a good high-pressure bearing grease, and that you glued or somehow staked the fwd seal in place!
If you were to lose this fwd seal from too much grease pressure, no future grease will make it to the aft bearing.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick for the info. Yes I think I over did it with the grease gun. I was pumping in the grease into the bellhousing and heard a pop! I am afraid I blew out the seal! I just did not no how much that cavity would take. Rick Im from the portland area too and I was trying to find you in the area. I did not know if you had a buisness that did this work. If so I would like to know how to get in touch.
jr.

Rick, How do you glue or stack the grease seals? It seems as though I will be pulling the engine again to do it right. and replace the rubber ring. Should have sought out this forum before I started. My Bad!
jr.

Jr., yes, that would have been best.
Good news is..... the AQ series engines are fairly easy to remove.
You can kill two birds here; install a new rubber cushion ring at the I/B side (or both)......., and glue the fwd seal in place.
You'll be done in no time.

If this engine is first-time-installed, or if the front engine mounts have lost the original height setting, see the OEM initial alignment triangulation procedure (the six flat points).
This is pretty much a one-time-deal!

PDS:
I pre-fill the PDS grease cavity prior to the seals being installed, and while spinning the shaft as to purge air.
When I see grease come through the ball cages, I stop.
That's when the two seals are installed.
No further grease is needed until the first service interval.

As for the fwd seal, what I meant was to somehow "glue" or "stake" this seal so that grease pressure (from a lever-happy mechanic), can't push the fwd seal out. If we lose the fwd seal, no future grease can make it's way through the more important aft bearing.
The aft seal should actually breach from a 100% grease stop.... IOW, the aft seal should not hold grease more so than the fwd seal....., counterintuative to what we'd normally think it should do.
I've actually began cutting a small slit in the lip or drilling a tiny hole in the seal casing of the aft seal.
I've seen too many fwd seals pushed out of the bore.

For servicing in the future, grease these with the engine running and the shaft rotating! Dynamic -vs- Static!
(same with an OMC, Merc or later Volvo Penta Gimbal Bearing, and/or EZ Lube style axle spindles..... spin while we grease!)

Thanks so much again Rick!!!! Valuable information there. The Boat is a Mirage Intruder which I know you've seen in our area. The engine has been in and out a couple of times thruout her life. The mounts still have the original settings. Cutting or drilling a hole in that aft seal makes alot of sense. and that lever happy mech. was me without the boat running ! I have found all the seals and bearings here local. Do you have any idea of who would have the rubber ring in stock?

jr.

Back