Logo

water infilteration

unclefuzz

Hello
I have had a occurance happen once last year and once already this
year. when I beach the boat and trim down some so the skeg will stick in the sand the hull takes on water. you can run all day and not take on any water as long as you don't go to the bank. The boat has a molded swim platform over the out drive. the motor is a 3.o with a alpha 1 out drive.
any one ever heard of any thing like this?

Thanks

It kinda sounds to me the transom bracket is letting in the water. When its down in the sand you are basically using the outdrive as a prying device on the transom assembly.

So you back the boat into the sand and then put the drive into the sand to anchor it ?

I had to ask.

Water is getting in around the transom where the drive meets it, i bet your whole drive is loose on the back.

See the bolts / nuts that hold it on try to tighten 'em. If they turn more then one turn you can have some serious issue with rot in the transom.

Or you made the holes oblong in the transom or the drive itself, ether way your lucky you posted here.

Check it out before it's too late.

It kinda sounds to me the transom bracket is letting in the water. When its down in the sand you are basically using the outdrive as a prying device on the transom assembly.

is triming down enough to keep the waves from turning the boat
against the shore not a good idea.

No, this one of the absolute worse things you can ever do to a boat. Never ever let the drive touch anything but water, ever.

Unfortunately, depending on how many times you have done this you likely have damaged your transom (back part of the hull) which will require removal of the drive (and likely the engine) to repair. You have also likely damaged both your drive and engine due to misalignment and continued use will at the least ruin the bearings, u-joint and engine coupler. You can (have) forced sand into the lower unit as if buries it sellf in the dirt due to wave action and you can get sand sucked into your engine coolant loop. And you now risk the possibility of sinking due to a self created leak in the hull.

If you beach the boat the drive should be in the full up trim position as you get close to shore, DO NOT use the trailer button except after you are on the trailer. Anchor your boat with your anchor line off the bow putting it in the beach sand or tied to a tree. Take another line (rope) and tie it to the rear of the boat on the UP wind side and then using your second anchor stake it to the sand or tie the line to different tree to keep the boat from spinning. If the wind is variable tie off both aft sides of the boat.

You need to get to a full service marina to determine how torn up your boat is immediately, maybe you will get lucky. Extra lines are cheaper than drives and transom repairs.

Hello
I have had a occurance happen once last year and once already this
year. when I beach the boat and trim down some so the skeg will stick in the sand the hull takes on water. you can run all day and not take on any water as long as you don't go to the bank. The boat has a molded swim platform over the out drive. the motor is a 3.o with a alpha 1 out drive.
any one ever heard of any thing like this?

Thanks

I am going to check the transom bolts for tightness today is there a torque value for these?

thanks

So you back the boat into the sand and then put the drive into the sand to anchor it ?

I had to ask.

Water is getting in around the transom where the drive meets it, i bet your whole drive is loose on the back.

See the bolts / nuts that hold it on try to tighten 'em. If they turn more then one turn you can have some serious issue with rot in the transom.

Or you made the holes oblong in the transom or the drive itself, ether way your lucky you posted here.

Check it out before it's too late.

Is there a torque value for tightning the transom bolts
thanks

According to the Merc manual tighten the transom bolts/nuts starting from the center and then working outwards to 22.5 ft/lbs.

Plan to go through these posts again, in the meantime here is our story:

We have a Mercruiser in-board engine on our boat, a Bombadier Celebrity
220 CC

Engine 5.7LX/V8 Thunderbolt V\'Ignition (1997)
Engine Serial Number: 0K198921
Transom Serial Number: 0K239407

Mid last year it broke down. We had water in the engine.

We stripped and repaired one side of it, only to find the other side had
water in it too.

I would like to inquire whether has been other owners with this problem?

We suspect it came through the exhaust system, and are considering
adding a piece to raise the inlet higher (my mechanic knows more).

Can you advise whether this will help or another suggestion.

We would hate for it to ruin another summer on the boat and land us with
another massive bill.

We are desperate for that not to happen and have some confidence in your
engine.

Thank you,

Scott

Hello Every One

had a chance check the transom bolts yesterday some snugged up
a round or two & some were tight, also dried the bilge out real good.
we are going top the lake to day i will monitor the engine room for leaks
and post results (no Beaching today) Ha!

Thanks

Hello Everyone

Put the boat in the river Sat. ran for 3 hr, carried it back to the shop
and checked the bilge no water at all ( GOOD)
Mermorial Day. put in the lake for 6 hr had to Beech for about 45 min
with drive up ( not in trailer position) pulled back in shop Mon night
drained 8 gal of water out of bilge ( BAD) I still think its taking
on the water when on the Beech. even with the foot not touching
the bottom

Thanks
Unclefuzz

how are your outdrive boots ? Any hole in the hull can let in water, on the trailer put the plug in and fill the bilge with water crank the bow up and the drive up and see where the water comes out.

Hate to say it but sounds like you have dry rot in your transom just high enough to stay above the water line when cruising on plane but under water when beached. Good luck.

Back