Logo

Water in the spart plug hole

ycart0

In the process of changing my

In the process of changing my starter I decided that I should go ahead and put new spark plugs in. Facing the engine working on the left. The very back plug looked alittle wet. The second plug from the back looked alright. Finally the plug closest to the front of the motor on the left side. When I took that plug out water drained just like I would have took out one of the plugs from the block. That cylinder I checked compression. It was 180. So I think thats good. A problem that I have been having is when I go full throttle really fast it wants to bog down. I can slowly open up the throttle and it will do fine.

I think I found the problem sort of. But I have a feeling that I already ruined my engine. Haven't check the dip stick to see if water actually seeped into the bottom.

Please Please Please What advice can you give me. As much as I don't want to I have to tackle this problem myself. I just can't afford that $90 a hour the boat shop charges. + whatever parts cost.

Thanks you guys are awesome

Cracks in the exhaust manifold

Cracks in the exhaust manifold or elbow. Open the oil drain bolt enough to let out a little fluid. Check for water. Dipstick will show gray oil w/a little water in the oil and if the oil level is over the full mark there is much more water in the oil. Get the oil and filter changed and the cracked exhaust replaced.

Im assumming the exhaust is ba

Im assumming the exhaust is bad. I checked the compression on all the cylinder and every thing is at 150. I changed the oil. It was a muddy chocolate color. I will probably pull the exhaust tommorrow. The problem I'm running into is that the pictures in the seloc and looking at the exhaust manifold & elbows online Look different from What I see on my boat. On my boat it is all one piece but connects on the back side with a rubber boot onto another piece of cast iron. Can someone tell me what I have and what I need to do. Thanks guys be blessed Tracy

After doing some research I be

After doing some research I believe my exhaust is a one peice exhaust. If I'm able to get a one piece replacement I'm guessing it will be expensive. Am I able to use the recomended one for my boat. it is a 1997 4.3 alpha gen +.
I need the best solution...Thanks again

"pns: starboard 807293A2 and p

"pns: starboard 807293A2 and port 807293A3

Shows NLA from Merc. which cost $1300/set. Merc. says to convert to 2 pc exhaust. (NLA - Convert engine to 2 pc. Exhaust system)
See MCM Service Bulletin 2005-12 Fits MCM 4.3L/LX/LH/LXH, 262 Mag & 4.3L EFI (1996-2000) May be available from GLM."

Thats it. Right now I don&#39

Thats it. Right now I don't have 1300 avaiable. What suggestions do you have guy. Is my old piece fixable. Thanks

Remove and examine it for crac

Remove and examine it for cracks. If none are visible then test the manifold to prove it is leaking cooling water into the exhaust chamber. External cracks can be welded by an expert welder but will eventually rust thru. A replacement 2 pc. manifold is around $350. I would stick w/Merc. parts but some people have had success w/GLM brand. I think they make a 1 pc. Talk to a dealer to get the part numbers for the parts in the bulletin. Then check eBay for new "take offs"; someone bought a complete drop-in engine and didn't need the exhaust.

ok guy and anyone else. This

ok guy and anyone else. This is what I did. I took the manifold off. Hooked the water hose to it and let it run. didn't see any water come out. I took a rag and stopped up the end still really no sign of water. I ran my shop vac pushing air thru the exhaust still no water comming out where it connects to the head. So now I'm at a loss???

Let me give you the breakdown scenario.
We were riding on the lake pulling a tube. In between tows I would turn off the engine. The starter went out. Some one came and town us back to where I put the boat in the water. Appx 5 miles. 6 days later is when I was putting the new starter on. While I had the seat out I decided I would change my plugs. The very back plug was damp. A little wet. The middle plug looked fine. When taking out the plugs toward the front of the engine. It was hard to turn. Once I got it out water poured out that hole. I checked the oil it was a inch higher past the full mark. When I changed it the color was muddy chocolate milk color. After changeing the oil we took it out seemed to run good. One other problem that we have been having is when you throttle all the way down the engine will want to bog and die. but lets say i run it about 3500 rmp for 5 min. When I let up on the throttle then suddenly accelerate all the way it doesn't bog. But if I stop and turn the engine off for 10 min. Then start it up again and suddenly accelerate all the way full throttle it bogs and wants to die.
I checked compression on the entire engine. Everything tested 150 psi. What should my next step be? How can I be sure that the exhaust is ok? How will i know what the real problem is? All opinions and help is appreciated. Thanks for reading guy and everyone else

New findings I went out to th

New findings I went out to the boat and was sticking my fingers in each hole where the exhaust comes out into the maninfold. The very back cylinder had water in it. Very little but it did have some. The other two were fine. So i'm convinced water is getting in. just not sure where? Could it possibly be the head gasket and its just not loosing compression?

Check the exhaust shutters &#4

Check the exhaust shutters (flappers) since backwash may be coming into the exhaust from a quick stop.

"Yes I agree with GUY about th

"Yes I agree with GUY about the flapper. When you said the number one cylinder had water in it I didn't think exhaust flapper but now that you say the number 5 has water in it and all along the starboard bank, and the fact that you were tubing/skiing, sounds about right. You might get off lucky. If the engine didn't hydrolock. Have you tested to see if it will turn over?"

yea engine still runs puget. I

yea engine still runs puget. I'm guessing that it could be the flapper. But can you give me info about the flapper. How to access and check it. and why is it only on the star board? Thanks guys for the help....

"I went out to look. Shutter i

"I went out to look. Shutter is missing. I think thats my culprit. Hopefully a sure fix. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help. Geeeeee you people are AWESOME
Thanks"

"Glad things worked out for yo

"Glad things worked out for you. Your V-6 requires two flappers one for each side. I think this is fairly common on older mercruiser boats used for skiing. All the stopping and starting and a corroded flapper. If you ever want to know how your engine/outdrive is put together this is a great website for blow up diagrams:

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/

You may want to check to make sure the missing pieces didn't get lodged down inside the outdrive and block exhaust water flow or up inside the exhaust pipe. "

Thanks guy I have both on orde

Thanks guy I have both on order. What suggestions do you guys have on being sure nothing is lodged down inside the out drive and exhaust pipe. I stuck my had down in it and didn't see anything. But it will only go so far.

mechanical fingers to grab any

mechanical fingers to grab any debris. Flush it w/a garden hose; plug/cover the exhaust manifold w/ duct tape to keep accidental water intrusion.

need new advice. the water shu

need new advice. the water shutter came in today.
Need to know if I have the right one. the dealer says it is. Mallory marine 9-42802 water shutter exhaust. Mercruiser 807166a3. One the mercruiser site it calls for 807166a2. Will the one they sent me work. Also doesn't look like it comes with anything to attach it to. So I'm assumming that I just sit it in the exhaust pipe. Is this correct?

They are the same. Look close

They are the same. Look closely at Bt Dr post above 6/10. It shows a diagram of how it is installed.

I was talking to a boat guy ab

I was talking to a boat guy about my problems he said it could be a intake leak or crack block? How do I check these out? I checked compression on the cylinder everyone is 150

Hate to be a bother but need s

Hate to be a bother but need some advice. Trying to get these shutters to work. mallory part #9-42802. Says it replaces mercruiser 807166a3. The one my boat calls for is 807166a2. I ordered the grommets but it doesn't seem to be fitting up with the mallory. Will the mallory one work? If so how does it attach. Thanks Guys

Back