Logo

Water in oil pan

watkijam6

"when i run water in through t

"when i run water in through the water inlet hose it ends up in the oil pan...i have a water flow diagram....according to it the water goes to the water pump and exhaust elbow....my question is, can the water go through the water pump to the engine if the engine is not running?...i have a GM 350...1987..the exhaust elbow and manifold are new..."

suspect cracked block or exhau

suspect cracked block or exhaust manifold failure. Do you have the boat's history? is it new to you?

i don't know this boats hi

i don't know this boats history..only know it last ran in 1998...i installed new exhaust manifolds and elbows today...both sides..after installation i removed the oil pan plug to change oil and seen the water...while the plug was out i turned on the water and seen the water pour out of the plug hole...the engine was not running...how did water get to block?

"cracked block. Why did you ch

"cracked block. Why did you change the manifolds?
age, freeze damage, was the motor winterized `98-`99?"

i changed manifolds because th

i changed manifolds because they were over 15 years old and full of rust...if the block is cracked how did water get to block if engine was not running?

Likely water was left in the b

Likely water was left in the block and it froze and cracked the block.
Bottom line: Your engine is pooched.

Rod

"thanks Rod,the block probably

"thanks Rod,the block probably is cracked...going to check the oil cooler today..first i'm going to disconnect and plug the hoses to the thermostat..the water is getting to the oil pan much too fast to just be a cracked block...its like i ran the hose straight to the oil pan...seem to me if the water was going through the block i would get a trickle coming out..i'm getting the same amount out as i put in, and it happens as soon as i turn the water on, there is no delay..anyway thanks guys for the response"

That means it`s a BIG internal

That means it`s a BIG internal crack and they do happen from cold temps. Keep us posted

Back