Logo

Water in lower unit

"“72” 50 HP, new to me. Draine

"“72” 50 HP, new to me. Drained lower unit and found water after running with muffs. Refilled and at boat landing, drained and had water again. When I changed impeller, I noticed that the shaft had some grooving. Is this the most likely cause? What are the options for fixing grooves? I am thinking of filling with metal epoxy and sand down. Any thoughts?"

"Hi there,

Water ingress co

"Hi there,

Water ingress could be from one or many sources:

Bad propellor shaft seal,
At water pump as you suggested,
Hairline crack in lower case,
poor seal face where lower end mates to leg and
Bad seal where casing of propellor shaft seal assembly and lower case mate.

To answer question of epoxy on drive shaft, personally, I'd not follow that route as the driveshaft spins at high RPM's, up to 5500.

If you cannot find a replacement shaft, find a decent machine shop to build it up with brazing and polish down to seal spec sizing again.

My two cent's worth...

From a chilly autumn-ridden Johannesburg,

Cheers!"

I get water with both muffs al

I get water with both muffs also so I am replacing the three seals in water pump. There are two seals on the bottom of pump. My question is are both seals sealing against water or is one for water and one for the gear lube? In other words do the seals face the same way or opposite directions? I wouldn’t think gear lube would much of a chance getting past the lower seal facing either way.

Thanks

Back