Logo

water in leg oil

wildcat223

hi am new and this is my first post, hi to usa from earth quake christchurch new zealand

have a 1985 bayliner ceira sun bridge, 350 chev volvo 275 stenleg
took engine out and noticed the bell housing sharft ruber washer o ring was on an angle and was not flush it is a heavy duty looking o ring, also the top bellow was leaking oilywater.
is this why i have water in leg oil? could eny one help of wear to start. ?:(

Your U/J bellows more than likely has a hole in it and it has let water in. The drive side yoke has a seal which seals in oil but water will pass through it going the other way. If it's salt water, the yoke may be rusted on the seal area and will need to be replaced along with the seal. This is avery common problem with the AQ Volvo Penta drives BUT they are still the best drive ever. I've done 100's of these over the years and once repaired and then SERVICED regularly you will enjoy this drive for many years.

Gary is 100% right. You may have to change the drive bellows, the u-joints and maybe even the PDS (primary drive shaft) bearings if they have been exposed to water. And of course you will have to drain the oil from the leg and replace it with fresh. But after that, if you maintain the drive, you will enjoy it for many years to come.

have a 1985 bayliner ceira sun bridge, 350 chev volvo 275 stenleg
1..... took engine out and noticed the bell housing sharft ruber washer o ring was on an angle and was not flush it is a heavy duty looking o ring,

2.... also the top bellow was leaking oilywater.

3..... is this why i have water in leg oil? could eny one help of wear to start. ?:(
I believe that you have several issues taking place simultaneously!

1... The "bell housing" is actually your Flywheel Cover in the Marine world.
The big fat O-ring units are your rear rubber sealing rings... aka rear engine mounts.
Sounds as though the last person in there got the inner cushion crooked when the flywheel cover was being clamped into the transom shield. :mad:
I would be replacing these, or you will risk the inner rubber cushion leaking water into the engine bay.

2... That will be the drive shaft bellows.
These should be considered a "wear" item that will be routinely replaced.
Likewise with water neck fitting that is near the same location.

3... Two choices and recommendations:

• drain the drive oil, and perform a pressure/vacuum leak-down test, and identify the area(s) that has breached.
  • assume that your 27 year old drive is due for a re-seal, and just do it.

NOTE: when water enters the drive shaft bellows, it begins to rust the carbon steel main seal surface washer. As rust builds, the rust scale takes out the main seal.
This washer can sometimes be polished out and saved, but sometimes it cannot be saved.
If it is not salvageable, and if a new seal surface washer is installed, the bearing box rolling torque setting must be checked, and often requires being re-shimmed to accommodate the difference between old and new washer dimensions.
I mention this because I've seen the so-called Volvo Penta technicians replace this washer without going through this procedure. Yes, even the well seasoned mechanics! :mad:
So use caution here!

Biggest and most important suggestion that I can make, along with the others:

Replace the 27 year old PDS bearings and seals. Don't even ask why..... just do it!

If you must ask why:

Attachments

• Broken Flywheel Cover explosion.jpg
    Broken Flywheel Cover explosion.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Back