Logo

Water In Gearcase Oil

I have a 1983 ,25 hp,Evinrude,model#E25RCIM,that has a leak I think around the bottom gear housing case cover or around propeller shaft.The propeller shaft from a visiablly veiwing doesn't appear to be bent.My question is it possable to remove the bottom gearcase cover and replace the spagetti seal without the gears and associated parts moving or shifting out of alignment,because I've been told you don't want to deal with this part of the engine if you are not experienced or have any knowledge of this area of the engine,or don't have patience and have a short temper or frustratition level!!Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated thank you,"The SturgeonGeneral".

I'm sorry the motor is a 1981,25hp,Evinrude,model #E25RCIM,my mistake"The SturgeonGeneral".I've been looking at the motor parts diagrams and it appears or looks like it isn't possiable to put in new spagetti seal without removing the propeller shaft and gears.My next question is what special tools or equipment is needed and is it possiable for a person with limited experience to preform this task effectively without causing any futher damage?Thank you for any input"The SturgeonGeneral".

Pretty simple really !-------------If all you want to do is replace the spaghetti seal you remove the bottom half of the lower unit.-----------Put new seal in the groove on the cover and re-install the cover.

Racerone when you say"remove the bottom half of lower unit" you are reffering to the bottom of lower gear case housing, where the propeller shaft is located with the " phillips head screw" is located"?Do I remove this " screw"? And if answer is yes , how hard is it to align whatever is held by that screw to reinstall the screw in its correct position?I don't have much patience and will get frustrated and start throwing tools and end up breaking something or causing more problems ha!!!!Any shop tricks or info I need to know would be greatly appreciated thank you , "The SturgeonGeneral".

Back