Logo

water coming out of motor

alilley

ok let me start of by saying that i am a newbie to boats as i just purchased my first (1988 sunchaser deck 1702 with a 3.0L and alpha 1)i bought it cheap enough knowing that it had "a cracked block" now i do know a little about motors as i a lot of my own maintance on my cars...got the boat home took a 55gal drum layed on its side cut a hot in it big enough got the outdrive to fit in filled with water hit the key after a few turns she fired up what i noticed next is my questions first of all i have water coming out from under the manifold:eek: and i dont mean a little you probally could fill a 5 gal bucked in no time what could it be??bad manifold? blown head gasket? blown manifold gasket? some one suggested water pump??any thought

when i hopped out of boat and looked at the out drive it had water oming down from somewhere hitting the outdrive but i went a head and shut it off shortly after that now it did not want to idel but if you gave just a little throtle would purr just fine and rev right on up i did check the oil in it first and noticed that it was still kind of carmel color but frothy looking so i am thinking that it has a little water in it hince the blown head gasket any thought and input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

cracked manifold, remove and inspect.Once removed you will be able to tell if the block is cracked wire open. heads dont usually crack.

i am hoping that it is just a manifold as i should be able to fix that. if it is the block that is cracked i had some one infor me that it caould be welded or braised back shut is this an option??

i am on the road right now and it might be the weekend before i get a chance to tear into it but i will defentally keep you posted as i find out what is going on and thanks again

Think of it as trying to fix a broken egg.Some have used JB Weld ,a epoxy type putty.Clean and "V" the area, clean with acetone, apply JB.
Cast iron is very difficult to weld or braze because the material must be heated before welding and SLOWLY cooled in sand to prevent cracking.Tough with a complete engine.

i just fixed a cracked block with jb weld.it was cracked under the intake manifold.i took some either and cleaned it up good and problem solved.

Had the same problem with my 3.0. Previous owner did a bad winterization and cracked the block just behind the exhaust man. I also used JB weld and its still holding strong. Make sure you wire brush the area well Vgroove the crack clean with evaporating cleaner ( acetone, Eiter, Brake clean) Apply JB and let dry. I would also suggest having your head checked for true and magnafluxed for cracks.

without a pic of the location hard to answer. there is 1 drain plug in the bottom of the manifold toward the rear and 1 in the block directly under it.

thanks for all the info already i have learned so much by just reading differant post on here as i mentioned i am a newbie so any ways i am at the house now and i took the manifold off and sure enough the block is cracked just behind the manifold about an inch or so below where the head would mate up to the block about 4 inches or so long and i am thinking that it looks lie there is one much further down i am going back out right now to to more investagating and cleaning to weight my options and i will post what i find and thanks again for your info

thanks to all home gave me tips on what i can do to possibaly do to attempt to fix that crack in the block i did go ahead and try to glue it back to gether so what i did was pull the cab off then the maniflod off took a wire brush in the drill to clean the area after which i took some brak cleaner to the block area to make sure there was not any oil left and let is sit over night reassembled went back to it and fired it but had it running for about 10 min or so and no water leaking from that area the only issue i have not is wile taking appart i had a hose clamp come appart and have a small drip there but that will be fixed when i got to town so no biggie and many thanks again

Back