Logo

Was a nice day so we took the boat out for the first time

I read it all since entering my question, I appreciate the answers... Got it!

Jobe... Be sure to let us know how the spray was affected by the move up.

OK....... Still thinking about this...... it's what I do....

If I get something like a Vance JPL2412SB Jack Plate https://www.vancemfg.com/product-p/jpl2412sb.htm I like the product, I don't care for the setback because Im thinking a few things...... Linkage? Motor controls will be ok but will steering linkage go back 5" and still operate ok?
That's one of the problems about winter.....it gives us all kinds of time to think about the things we'd like to do with our boats. Unfortunately, these ideas usually translate into $$$$ and time spent. :eek:

A jack plate isn't a bad idea. Depending on how your steering cable is set up, you'll probably be fine with the set back. However, if you have just exactly enough length now on the cable it might not work.

If it were me, I'd try the boat first now that you've raised the engine and see how much improvement you have before thinking too far on a jack plate. If you're still not satisfied, something like the T-H Marine Mini-Jacker might be a better option. It's a solid cast aluminum 4" rise plate. It's designed for up to 35HP and is originally meant for clamp on motors, but I bet you'd be okay drilling and bolting to it. Below is a link to the unit on Amazon for $105. With only 4" of set back it makes the cable reach a little better and being a solid piece there aren't any other components to fail.

https://www.amazon.com/T-H-MARINE-SUPPLIES-MJ-1-DP-Supply/dp/B0000AXQ9D

Yea, I seen the Mini's and didn't like them at all...... I would like the ability to have some type of adjustment to it in case #1, I screw up the location mounting. Im a measure once cut twice kinda guy by nature (please don't tell my wife). #2, I would like the ability to make adjustments based on conditions of the water, location etc... if ever needed. The little extra in cost for the flexibility I think would be nice. Could be over thinking the whole thing, Like you said, I might be happy with the adjustment I already made, but I suspect not. I went out and put a straight line under the bot to the lower end and Im still about 1 1/2" higher than the cavitation plate...... Maybe in the water it will act different. I don't know, hopefully find out Sunday as it's suppose to be mid to high 60's and clear here, so I'll take it for another run and see (and yes, video to follow)

I have been doing some reading on the jack plates and some on my Grumman 1542B set up. Grumman did put a 20" motor on a 17 1/2" transom....... I came across many others who have the same water spray issue that I have. I haven't read of anyone having to readjust the boat on the trailer yet though, so maybe 5 inches doesn't matter that much, i don't know....... yet....

Yea, I seen the Mini's and didn't like them at all...... I would like the ability to have some type of adjustment to it in case #1, I screw up the location mounting. Im a measure once cut twice kinda guy by nature (please don't tell my wife). #2, I would like the ability to make adjustments based on conditions of the water, location etc... if ever needed.
On a boat like this you most likely won't need to change anything once you get it set. So, the adjustable jack plates won't be necessary.

Look closely at the design of the Mini. On the outside where it mounts to the transom there are bolt holes all up and down the plate. You can drill one set of holes to mount the plate, set the motor on the plate, then test. If you still need to adjust you can unbolt, move the whole plate up or down, then reconnect it. Once you have it set you probably won't move it again.

Definitely report back Sunday and let us know how it goes. At 1 1/2" below the transom you're still lower than ideal. But.....if that works for you I'd call it good and not add the cost of a plate. If it's still not acceptable then it's time to shop for jack plates.

Here is another video that I ran across from someone with the same boat and motor as mine (even though he has a 20HP cover on his motor), having the same issue.

Can you measure from top to bottom of the transom where the motor is hanging, I bet it is only 18 inches, maybe 18 1/2? In a perfect world you have 20".

Back