Logo

Warped carb bodies

Gbullington

I have an 1995 Johnson 225 with warp carb bodies and was told they are now longer available need HELP what can I do will replaceing the O rings help thanks Garland

I have an1995johnson 225 vemon with warped carb bodies and was told they are no longer available need HELP what can I do will replacing the O ring seals help

how bad is the warp? It not too bad, Stuff hole with paper towels, and use a belt sander or grinder to even it out, make sure what ever you are grinding it with is bigger than the the carb face, so its flush. I'm just guessing here, but thats what I would do, stuffing the holes will help keep the debris from clogging the carb. Theres no after market parts? This site is good for that stuff. theres always ebay too,

I have seen the bowls but not bodies. These are sealed with o-ring against throttle body. What are your symptoms??

You can spray carb cleaner down beside the bowls with some one driving and them the motor will pick up an start to plain off with out the spray it will just die

So do you think replacing the O rings will help the problems is really stressing me out I've put a reftifier ,rebuild the fuel pump .put new gas line and bulb ,and took it to an omc dealer with told me the reed gasket need to be replaced that was the problem when I went to get they say the carb bowls / bodies we warped and were no longer available so that's where I am now hoping the O rings will fix NEED HELP PLEASE it's an 1995 Johnson 225 vemon with just a little over 200 hours

Would you PLEASE be specific? PLEASE!!!????

He asked if it was the bodies or the bowls. On the last post you state "they say the carb bowls / bodies we warped and " (your words, C&Ped) ...so which is it?

If bodies, where the flange meets the intake, then that is one thing. If the bowls, where the carb body meets the float bowl, another.

So be specific.

Ok here it is....

(Crap this has been posted so many times before...)
Search function dudes....search function.

The flange where the carb meets the intake / throttle body rarely warps. It will if over torqued, but very rare.
This has an o-ring seal. Take a straight edge across it and see if the damn thing is warped. Simple.

The bowl to carb body has a gasket seal. Now here is where the arguments begin.
I personally do not think the bowl warpage will do anything, other than possibly leaking fuel when engine is tilted up and not running.
If the bowls are warped, and engine is in running position, and leaking air at the bowl gaskets, so what? There is a vent to the atmosphere that makes sure there is atmospheric pressure above the gasoline level in the bowl at all times. So what if there is a leaking bowl gasket? Other than the fuel spillage......

If spray from your test is hitting the covers on the side of the throttle body, as Fazt suggests, then the engine may pick up and go like you state.
The covers might be a plate with gaskets, or they might be welch plugs staked into the sides of the throttle bodies...not sure on your model, but based on your post that it is a 1995 model, should be plates with gaskets.

So, do more testing. Spray directly on the plates on the side of the throttle body, avoiding the flange area. See what happens. Press key in while bogging (pulse it in, out, in, etc.)... See what happens......I bet it takes off.

If so, lean in the calibration pockets, with clogged metering holes. My term for "calibration pockets" is the same as Fazt's term "transfer covers".

Good morning,

my first time on here. My friend has a 90 hp Johnson’s on with the plastic carbs that are warped where the carb bolts on to throttle body. I have been searching for a solution to this with him for a while now and we have not come up with anything other than sanding it down but not sure if that will ruin carb. Cannot find these anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

thankyou

todd

Sand em down on a true flat surface. Tons of info on Youtube and google.
Also, it will generally be beneficial to start a new thread as opposed to replying to one this old.

Back