Logo

Wacky Tach 1989 AQ 151 C

JimS88

I have twin 1989 AQ151C I/Os. They have engine alarms connected to oil pressure and water temp senders on the engines. The alarm horn oscillates (beep, beep, beep rather than a steady tone) When I turn on the ignition, before the motor starts, the tachometer pegs with every beep. Once the motor starts it seems to be fine. I am concerned about damage to the tach. Any idea why this is happening? I don't remember for sure but I don't think it used to do this when it was new.

Thanks, Jim

Re: Wacky Tach

maybe that circuit lost it's ground path and is finding ground through the neg. side of the coil/ tach. signal wire.

Re: Wacky Tach

The ground for the alarm comes thru the senders. That leaves the positive side which is connected to the ignition and gauges thru the ignition key. As I said it's a twin engine installation. The port tach does it's wacky thing if either alarm sounds (port or starboard engine) the starboard tach doesn't do it at all. Everything else seems to work fine. Only thing is a slight voltage pulse on the main positive wiring but those are all large cables and that doesn't seem possible to me. With that logic anytime I switched any thing else on or off it should affect the tach (which it doesn't).

Back