Logo

VTEC Testing

PaulBF150

Contributing Member
I was wondering if it would be possible to energize the VTEC solenoid manually with engine idling? I understand the operation of the VTEC system, however on this engine it is not engaging above 3000 RPM and well upto 4000 RPM. I have the brother of this engine (second BF150) and the VTEC works.
Since the VTEC solenoid sends oil to the little pistons on the intake rocker arms switching in the second set of rocker arms, which allows more intake air into cylinders.

I believe it should work without damage, just not 100% sure. That is where the "Smart Guys" provide their input.

Paul

Well, I SURE don't want to be the guy to tell you "YEAH, go ahead" and then have something break or let the smoke go free.

I don't know this system at all.

On many auto engines the solenoids can be powered for testing without problems but I just don't know about the Honda.

What I wanted to say to you is that the variable cam timing systems on cars usually have little filter screens that can plug with crud and debris and cause the system to malfunction. You might also want to look into that as well as oil pressure since it needs a minimum pressure to operate properly.

Thanks for the reply. I did remove the assembly to clean and manual energize the unit to confirm soleniod was good. Thing is this engine never worked that I can remember. Likely will just give it a try while it is idling. Hopefully there is sufficient oil pressure to move those pistons.

Back