Logo

VRO Questions

william1991

Alright so let’s start this long post. I recently bought a 1991 Stratos 274FS equipped with a 1991 Evinrude XP175, boat has sit for about 2 years. Swapped in new plugs and replaced the rectifier. Got an impeller kit on the way. So while testing the engine just didn’t want to run right spitted and sputtered and just plum didn’t want to stay running. Went to test it again today, and immediately when switching the key to on, I got the over heat/fuel restriction alarm (solid beep) the oil tank was full of oil. So I decided to mess around with the VRO and unhooked the oil line from the motor long and behold instead of oil coming out when I primed the bulb it was water about 90% full of water with oil floating in that!!! 😩😩😩 so I pulled the oil tank cleaned it all out and put it back in the boat. So now I know there is going to be some water in the VRO pump and I’m sure water was mixing in with the gas (probably why it was spitting and running like crap) so I’m kinda considering just unhooking the VRO plug along with the positive wire. Now if I do this and just pull the oil tank out and cap off the end on the motor. Will the fuel pump still work? Kinda new to all this. My buddy told me this was the best choice that way I KNOW my fuel/oil is mixed exactly 50:1. I’m guessing I’m gonna replace my plugs again and just hope that if I do bypass the VRO that the water will burn out and run good. But yeah this is where I’m at just curious if Bypassing the VRO is okay to do. And if that fuel pump is still going to work. Buying a new VRO is kinda out of the question at the moment. (Wife will kill me) seeing I have been putting money into the boat lol. Just need some advice thanks. Side note* I’m assuming water got into the oil tank because previous owner never covered it and it sit a long time. I’m assuming something stopped up the hull plug hole and the back filled with water. Just my though by looking at the batteries when I got the boat.

Should still run on 90 psi, I went thur something similar with my 93 tracker with 40hp...Make sure no water is in the fuel tank, drain carb bowls or clean carbs...I took my oil tank ,wiring and hose off...Block or cap the oil line fitting off, unhook the electrical plug coming off the vro....Vro pump will work fine as a fuel pump only..Mix 50 to 1 and you should be fine...The 90 psi is on the low side but maybe where it's been sitting and enough oil gets to the rings it could come up..

So far, I removed the oil tank. Thoroughly cleaned it. Replaced the line running from motor to oil tank. Removed the fuel rail from the vro into the carbs. Allowed the vro to prime up getting all excess water out. Hooked everything back up. Going to clean my carbs and plugs and test fire it. I’m sure there may be just a little water sitting inside somewhere. Once I replace my impeller and seals will have a test day on the lake.

Good deal,replace lower unit oil also!!! Something to check also is the temperature sensor making sure its right... Unhook plug to it, with key on ground wire you should hear a constant beeping sound....Dont ground sensor...

Back