Logo

VRO questions 225 Johnson

B

Bob Lane

" RE VRO issues: I have a 225

" RE VRO issues: I have a 225 Johnson, 86' which is continually missing at low rpms 1500 - 2500. At top end it runs very good, but getting there can often mean bogging down and even killing the engine. The plugs especially the lower plugs are usually oily but otherwise appear good. I suspect it may be the VRO since I just had the unit dyno-tested about 40 hours ago and they replaced the ignition pack on the right side. Questions: Since I use the engine for trolling do you think I just need to run it at high rpm for a while to get the oil out of the cylinders?
2 - Should I disconnect the VRO and use per mixed gas? 3 - I have an 80 gal in hull tank -- can you really mix oil and gas in the tank and assume it will stay mixed? "

"Bob... That engine is not des

"Bob... That engine is not designed for trolling and using it for such usually results in fouled plugs.

Check the stator under the flywheel to see if the large black coils, which are located on the rear portion of the stator, may be melting down. That 35 amp stator runs very hot and will in time cause a melt down. Those two black coils supply approximately 300 volts AC to the powerpacks. When the black coils melt down, the voltage drops, and the ignition becomes faulty, especially at a low rpm.

Mixing fuel and oil in a built in tank is nothing new and it will stay mixed if you decide to go that route. The gas and oil being mixed was the norm from day one of the outboard (built in tanks) industry to 1983.

Should you decide to eliminate the VRO, it can be done as follows:

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following.

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Joe
"

a 225 hp motor will not troll very well, maybe if it was a 40 hp i could see it as a troller.

get a trolling flange that you can hook up to your outboard. Therefore you can keep your rpm a little higher keeping the plugs from fouling.

Back