Logo

VRO pump alarm

bill_w

Advanced Contributor
I'm running an 88 275 HP V8, using the stock dual VRO pumps. Near the end of the season, I was getting an oil alarm, usually at mid throttle range. If I gave the motor a quick shot of throttle, the alarm would go quiet. It never came on during WOT running, just at cruising or sometimes at idle. Would this be an indication that one of the VRO pumps is on its way out, or something else?

Unplug harness one at a time to see which unit is acting up and add some oil to fuel as oil side could be failing on one.

I'm thinking I may just start premixing and know its good. I run it up to 6600 RPMs, I don't think they were rated for those revs.

Rating is 5000-6000rpms...6600rpm tad high but you might go up a prop pitch and pickup a mph or two unless you ski/tube.Make sure you run synthetic gear oil and keep eye on oil as gearcases /gears are getting real scarce for these V8 motors...

Its got a 6700 rev limiter, and I run it just hard enough to keep it off the limiter. Its hard to find a prop with more than 30" pitch and give me the bow lift I need. So far I've tried a 28 Raker and a 30 Merc Lightning ET. The raker give me better performance and lift, I think because of its bigger diameter.

No tubing or sking, its set up for top speed on an 18' mod V tunnel hull (Stratos VT 180 Rocket).

Last edited:
Back