Logo

vovlo aq151a engine problems

dhondarider

ok, i bought the boat and it didnt start, checked the oil and it looked new. engine turned over but was still winterized. Says the seller. I have replaced the fuel in the tank, spark plugs, wires cap and rotor, cleaned the carb, and it now has a new coil and petronix ignition. tried turning it over , got some hickups once and a while, but it just cranks and wont fire. i have not checked the plug gap so i will do that today. but now after cranking it over for a while, the oil is milky and over full. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

I have always heard that milky oil means a cracked block and that it is caused by water getting into the oil. I am I am just a rookie do-it-yourselfer though. Not a mechanic.

drained the oil today... had like 1/4 cup of water in it, not very much, took the head off today and the cylinders were kinda rusty but no scratches or anything, no signs of cracks or anything. timing was spot on.... this is just confusing

That engine is done. No confusion there.
You may not be able to see where the crack is that is allowing water into the oil. The engine may run perfectly well, but while it is humming along all the metal is getting eaten off the bearing shells, the oil sump is filling with water and the thing will eventually get to the point where it will hydraulic and lock up.

Last edited:
ok.. well i have a chance to get a 240 volvo turbo motor. b230ft. cheap. i would need to swap my pistons to that block right ? use my cam gear and cam too ? or can i just swap on my marine parts to that complete engine ? what woould my other options be as far as other 4 cylinder engines ? thx

Could be just a blown head gasket and not a blown engine......Take the head off and check for leaks through the gasket. The AQ151 is a workhorse. Also check around #4 plug for a crack. this can be welded, as mine was, and the engine will be just fine.

there was a spot that lookedlike damage to the head gasket, but it was near a bolt hole not near a oil or water port. im going to try and pressurize the water jacket with air and see if it leaks. i think it coulda been a problem with the head, and maybe that was why it wouldnt start. idk. ive got this thing torn down to just a block and pistons now. its a easy engine to work on.

also if your running an oil cooler on this engine check the O rings on the top and bottom when you disassemble the cooler,if they are bad or that core insert"the brass piece in the middle of the cooler" is damaged or bent around the edges it can also cause water to enter the crank case.if it's just fresh water thats been entering the motor it can be salvagable,but if it's been sucking saltwater into the engine thats another story.

Back