Logo

Volvo penta aq165 starter solinoid help

mell860930

I have a 1969 volvo penta aq165 that seems to get voltage dropping when you go to start it. I was told to install a starter solinoid on it and that would take cre of that issue. WHere do you install and and what not? I cant find any information in regards to this?

Hi, I am a bit confused by your post.​

First, do you mean a starter solenoid or a starter relay? Your motor starter should already have a solenoid on it. A starter relay is meant to protect the ignition switch contacts and can be installed with not much difficulty.

Second, all batteries experience a voltage drop when attempting to start a motor. However, if the voltage drop is severe, it can be attributed to a weak battery, dirty/loose connections, or faulty starter. Just installing a starter relay will not cure the problem if it is due to one of the reasons above.

I would first make sure that the battery is in good condition, charged, and that both + and - terminals are clean and greased, Second, I would ensure that the connection of the ground cable from the battery to the engine block is properly connected and tight on the engine side, and that the terminal is clean and greased. Third, ensure that the cable from the + battery to the starter is tight and the contacts are clean and greased. If all is OK, I would attempt to connect the starter solenoid terminal to the + of the battery. If the starter does not turn or turns with difficulty, it may need new brushes, or get the commutator skimmed on a lathe, or a new starter solenoid.

And of course, let us not overlook a possible faulty battery isolation switch.

Well, this does not cover all possibilities, but I think it is a good start to troubleshoot your problem.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I was told a starter solinoid but maybe it is a relay that they were saying. I am going to test the batteries and what not but it seems like there isnt enough juice getting to one of the motors becuase one will turn over the other just clicks but the starter is new. They told me it was due to a now enough voltage to the starter.

It sounds to me like a wiring problem. I would check all the connections first as I mentioned in the above post. Make also sure that the connections in the ignition switch are all tight as well and that the iginition switch is not faulty.

I have a 1969 volvo penta aq165 that seems to get voltage dropping when you go to start it. I was told to install a starter solinoid on it and that would take cre of that issue. WHere do you install and and what not? I cant find any information in regards to this?
Probably a misunderstanding. They may have meant "replace" the solenoid.

So adding a relay wouldnt help?
That is correct.
You OEM starter motor solenoid is a contact relay in addition to a solenoid kick-out device.

I'll second Eduardo's suggestions. Add to this that the ole 90* sweep Perkos are notorious for small contacts.

Also, and I'm not certain about this, but I believe that the 165 shares a common starter motor with the OHC 4's.
Eduardo, is this so?
If so, now days you can purchase a HTGR/PMGR motor for these. The HTGR/PMGR motor spins the engine just a few more cranking rpm, and with slightly less batter Amp draw.

The OEM starter motors were direct armature/pinion drive.... no gear reduction like today's starter motors.
I'd not spend a dime on over-hauling the OEM starter motors if the HTGR/PMGR is available for the 165.

Probably a misunderstanding. They may have meant "replace" the solenoid.

That is correct.
You OEM starter motor solenoid is a contact relay in addition to a solenoid kick-out device.

I'll second Eduardo's suggestions. Add to this that the ole 90* sweep Perkos are notorious for small contacts.

Also, and I'm not certain about this, but I believe that the 165 shares a common starter motor with the OHC 4's.
Eduardo, is this so?
If so, now days you can purchase a HTGR/PMGR motor for these. The HTGR/PMGR motor spins the engine just a few more cranking rpm, and with slightly less batter Amp draw.

The OEM starter motors were direct armature/pinion drive.... no gear reduction like today's starter motors.
I'd not spend a dime on over-hauling the OEM starter motors if the HTGR/PMGR is available for the 165.

You are correct, Ricardo. Both starters are compatible.

You are correct, Ricardo. Both starters are compatible.
Good, for some reason I was thinking that.
There is an e-bay seller who occasionally lists these for around $120 I believe.
These will kick butt over the OEM style.

rm0010.gif

New Starter Motor for Volvo Penta
Used on Petrol & Diesel Models
Replaces Volvo #: 870977, 873549-0, 873549-0
For 2002, 2003, MB20, AQ60, AQ90, AQ95, AQ100, AQ105A, AQ110, AQ115, AQ120, AQ125, AQ130, AQ131, AQ140, AQ145, AQ151, AQ165, AQ170, AQ171, BB100A, BB115, BB145, BB165, BB170

javascript:;javascript:;

Last edited:
Back