Logo

Volvo Penta AQ 140-A expert

mtnmike

Hey everybody, I have posted a couple of questions regarding the AQ 140 and seemed to have stumped the forum readers as I have received no replies. So, can anyone help me with a name or website that deals in AQ series parts (1976) and that may be able to help me?

I have noticed that most on the forum recommend replacing these AQ series engines, but mine only has a 112 hours on it since new!

Thanks for any help that you can offer, Mike

Rick,

Thanks for responding. I need a circulating pump for my AQ 140A and the part number is 828024. The dealer says that is not a good number, but it IS the part number on the pump and is different than the 828023 pump. There is a used one on eBay, but the seller doesn't know whether the seals are good.

My pump works fine and only has a minute leak from the weep hole, but I want to have a dry, reliable engine. Or I need to find someone who can rebuild my old pump, as all I need are the seals. Any help would be great. Thanks again for replying. Mike

Okay, I may be getting to the bottom of this mess. I talked to an old time VP parts guy and he said it is not unusual for the part number on the original engine to be one digit off the replacement parts. The new pump comes as a kit, has a totally different number, and no longer fits the same way. They use a short external hose which replaces the original internal o-ring and which requires removing the heat exchanger and sliding everything together at one time during reassembly...should be more fun than is allowed.

Oh, and this little pump kit which is nearly exactly like the $60 Volvo 2.1 auto version is $374.00 plus shipping.

Okay,

I installed the pump yesterday and all is fine. The old pump can be removed and the new pump installed WITHOUT removing the heat exchanger! The so called "installation kit" consists of a piece of 1 1/2" radiator hose 2" long and (2) hose clamps that Volvo gets $56 for, can obviously be bought locally from an auto parts store.

It is necessary to put high-tack spray gasket material on the pump side of the gasket and stick it on before attempting to install the pump. Oil the outside of the gasket and motor surface as it MUST slide against the motor.

I was told by Volvo parts guy that if a person can identify the auto engine of the same size and same year that he is positive that the water pump will match the replacement pump for the AQ-140. Unfortunately I had already bought the pump.

Back