Logo

Volvo Penta 50GXiE

imdw

"Hi, just bought my first boat

"Hi, just bought my first boat - a Rinker 232 Captiva with the above engine. Just have a question re Oil Pressure. The owners manual states that the pressure for the Oil should be circa 18PSI but on switching the engine on (ie from cold) the needle moves directly to the middle of the guage at 40PSI (scale goes from 0 to 80). Am wondering whether the guage or sender unit is at fault. Engine oil level is fine, checked today. Any experience of this anyone? Not sure at what level the engine alarm is set off on oil pressure?"

"40psi is typical for the smal

"40psi is typical for the small block chevy engine, MIN you'd want to see is 10psi HOT @ idle.

oil alarm will sound when pressure is low, high oil pressure is not a problem, high performance engines run 60-80 but they also run 5000-100000 rpms..

no problem with gauge or sender at this time."

"Thanks Brian. I posted this o

"Thanks Brian. I posted this on a Rinker Owners forum as well and got the same response...not sure why the manual talks about 18psi but hey, think I'll be stopping by here to get a proper answer in the future
happy.gif
"

"Ian, You may need to look fur

"Ian, You may need to look further into the Volvo Penta literature for this, but 18 psi Oil Pressure may be the actual "open circuit" minimal psi for the electric fuel pump circuit.
It would be part of your safety feature whereby circuitry opens to shut the fuel pump off under certain conditions! (e.g. low or no oil pressure)
Your gauge may simply be slighty inaccurate.

BTW, 80 psi can be a problem for this engine unless extensive oil galley and journal mods have been made to the engine. Doubt this is an issue for you since the oil pump relief valve must be modified for this to occur!
(just an FYI on that for you.)

."

"Your welcome, btw i've se

"Your welcome, btw i've seen 10psi @ idle and I know the main bearings had a little too much space in them, and hours/mileage. As Ricardo mentioned 80psi can be a problem on Small Blocks but I've seen those numbers but there were modifications to the block. I've also seen small block fords running @ 80psi. My HiPerf Car engine ran 60-70psi with a high volume oil pump but also was a little tight on one of the rod bearings.

btw, my nephew has a GX in his 2008 Glastron 20' has some great performance for a 305ci even does 15-20' !!! Rooster Tails. ( using a 22p 4 Blade Piranha Propeller getting 50mph on the GPS."

"Brian, just an fyi; the SBC o

"Brian, just an fyi; the SBC oil pump is capable of producing up to 150/200+ psi, as are many gear type positive displacement pumps.
However, oil pump pressure reliefs set for these greater pressures can cause cavitation unless mods have been made to the pump body, rear main bearing cap oil port and a few other important oil journals within the system.
I'm not suggesting that we should run these higher pressures..... it can be done, but you'd be surprised to learn that these engines do not require higher pressures to be properly lubricated. 45/55 psi is near ideal.
If much greater, oil in suspension can then become an issue along with cavitation, in a normal marine engine!

BTW, did you happen to learn what the actual open circuit pressure is for the fuel pump "shut-down" system? I suggested 18, it may be closer to the 10 that you mention.

."

"wasn't aware they can do

"wasn't aware they can do 150-200psi.. that's cool.. I do know that 40-55-60 is ideal, I agree a 10psi would be good for shutdown, 18's a little high.

Ian's the one that start this.. I'm not sure."

"[b]"wasn't aware they

""wasn't aware they can do 150-200psi.. that's cool.."
Actually, they will go even higher! These are nothing more than a crude gear type hydraulic pump with a crude spring backed, non-adjustable/pre-set, pressure relief piston.
You can shim the spring for more pressure!

Me thinks that a consistant 200 psi would shorten the life of the drive gears and a few other things! LOL

Hey, Merry Christmas to you guys!"

Back